Latest post Wed, Jun 21 2006 12:08 PM by cassano. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 14 2006 11:35 PM

• fcgabbard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 14 2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 40

Sharing Projects

Hi,

My station has been running an Adrenaline for Production for about 6 months, entire news operation and Promotions on Mojo Newscutters. Now my system is being replaced with a second Adrenaline. I'm wondering what kind of setup some facilities have used for sharing projects.

Engineer sugested we may put project files in a folder on Unity, then he said maybe not good idea, has anyone done that? How well does it work? Any problems? Would saving on a Networked server work better? Will avid keep 2 people from opening same project?

I'm sorta new to Avid, been editing with Startosphere for about 7 years, can't wait to dumpster it.

Thanks

Frank

• Wed, Jun 14 2006 11:53 PM In reply to

Re: Sharing Projects

All of our clients on Unity use shared projects.  It has worked well.  Periodically, the Bin locking mechanism gets wacked, and you have to delete the .lck file, but that's rare.  Make a Workspace for the shared projects, and a folder inside called Avid Projects.  Drop your existing project in there.
    Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 15 2006 3:52 PM In reply to

"Will avid keep 2 people from opening same project?" No, two users can work in the same project at the same time, howevever, once a bin is opened by the first user who opened the project, ONLY THAT USER will be able to write to that bin, until he closes it. But both users will be able to playback any clip simultaneously from that bin, no matter who opened it first.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 15 2006 4:09 PM In reply to

• Wahappened
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 3 2006
    • Chicago
    • Posts 71
    • Points 700

My 1.5 cents:

Mirror your Project workspaces. Other than that its the way to go in my opinion. Also might be a good practice to set the auto save interval to 5 min on everyones system.
    Symphony and Media Composer DX. Adrenaline and Nitris classic. Windows and Mac based systems. Unity 4.2.4, Unity 5.0.3, Final Cut Pro [view my complete system specs]

If the "black box" flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn't the whole airplane made out of that stuff?

• Thu, Jun 15 2006 4:17 PM In reply to

Also, consider backing up important long term projects to your local drives, using consolidation. Over the past 5 years on Unity, we have experienced 4 catastrophic failures and having certain projects backed up locally was a life saver.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 9:04 AM In reply to

However, Avid does recommend that you keep your User settings local to the machine, NOT shared on the Unity.

Also, FYI, we keep some common media (bars, slates, black/white PICT files, etc.) also on the same workspace that the Avid Porjects are kept, so they are always online to all editors.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 12:08 PM In reply to

• cassano
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,640

Kevin Klimek:
    However, Avid does recommend that you keep your User settings local to the machine, NOT shared on the Unity.

Hmmm...never seen that one.  Of course, the system merely synchronizes the settings exported to Unity with the local settings and one actually is using local settings while editing.  But, I'd be curious to know if Avid has an official knowledge base position on exporting settings to Unity, now.  Has there been some problems?

However, I can say that with over 50 staff and freelance editors exporting and importing settings to 7 MCAs in a two year period (after we figured out the procedure to do it), we have not seen any problems related to settings.

xw8400 w/4Gb RAM / NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500/ MCA v2.8/ Unity LANshare EX v4.1.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller