Latest post Wed, Jun 21 2006 4:31 AM by RedArrowRyan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 16 2006 7:28 AM

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Re-link trouble

Hi all...

I am having some serious trouble with re-link.  I have MCA 2.2.4 by the way (want to get 2.2.6 or 7 but the readme doesn't say it fixes my problems).

I have onlined numerous sequences on my HD system.  I just received a new sequence that has many of the same clips that I have already uprezed (captured at dnx115).  I take my offline sequence and try to relink it but 'no clips were relinked'.  This is driving me mad... I shouldn't have to re-capture all these clips again if they already exist on my system.

The online media is on a specific workspace on our unity.  I tried to relink the sequence, then decompose it and try to relink the resulting master clips.  Can't get one clip to relink. I tried to specify a specific resolution... even tried to relink to 'most recent' and 'highest quality'.. no dice.  I can open my older online sequences and see the clips, online and looking great.. they are in dnx115, have the same tape name and TC as the new clips.  Any ideas why they won't relink?  I was going to modify the new sequence (from SD 23.98 to 1080/23.98) but that's another one of my bugs... can't change the format.  I get an access violation.  Offline was done on MCA HD 2.2.4 and I'm onlining on a MCA HD 2.2.4. So what's up?

please help if you can,

-Peter B

Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7 16GB Ram_Win7 Pro Nvidia GTX580 ATA100 7200rpm drives (1 for system, 1 for video) 2 SATA 7200rpm drives in a internal RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 16 2006 12:47 PM In reply to

• Wahappened
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 3 2006
    • Chicago
    • Posts 71
    • Points 700

Re: Re-link trouble

When you decompose the new sequence given to you. Are you doing so with the same handle length that you used to decompose the other sequences you've onlined. If you are trying to link clips with 30 frame handles and now are decomposing with 60 frame handles it wont work. Also, you can try deselecting the option the relinks only media from the current project.

Good Luck.

Symphony and Media Composer DX. Adrenaline and Nitris classic. Windows and Mac based systems. Unity 4.2.4, Unity 5.0.3, Final Cut Pro [view my complete system specs]

If the "black box" flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn't the whole airplane made out of that stuff?

• Fri, Jun 16 2006 1:18 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have smaller handles this time (8 frames) than I did for my original online (48frame handles). So the new media should be well inside the old media files.  Also I did de-select 'current project' and 'match case'.  Still didn't help... argh.  Just installed 2.2.7 and same problems (relink and modify format problem)

-peter b

Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7 16GB Ram_Win7 Pro Nvidia GTX580 ATA100 7200rpm drives (1 for system, 1 for video) 2 SATA 7200rpm drives in a internal RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 16 2006 1:57 PM In reply to

• Wahappened
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 3 2006
    • Chicago
    • Posts 71
    • Points 700

If you haven't tried already, I would decompose one of your new sequences with 48 frame handles. I usually start up-rezing a sequence from an offline editor even if picture isn't locked and just grab the updated sequece periodically and relink to what Ive recaptured so far. It works like a champ for me and keeps me from having to wait around for people to finish before the assistants here or myself can get started. The only time I've run into issues is when I did not decompose with the same handles as I started with.

Hope you don't have to redig!
    Symphony and Media Composer DX. Adrenaline and Nitris classic. Windows and Mac based systems. Unity 4.2.4, Unity 5.0.3, Final Cut Pro [view my complete system specs]

If the "black box" flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn't the whole airplane made out of that stuff?

• Mon, Jun 19 2006 8:24 PM In reply to

• Cstokes
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 22
    • Points 250

I only have a guess for you, but here goes.  You say you "received a new sequence" which tells me it's from another system and therefor could have different tape names, a different project name etc...

Instead of Decomposing the sequence, try changing your sequence bin settings to "show reference clips".  If you find the referenced clips to differ in length, tape name, project, or any of the other key descriptors, you'll not be able to re-link unless you modify the clips to fit the already digitized material.  As far as I know, the Media Composer has never been able to re-link a shorter decomposed clip to longer on-lined versions of the same clip (regardless of the fact that the clip's start and end points are inside of another longer version).  Check it out and let us know your progress.  I hope that helps, but at the very least, I hope I didn't make it more confusing.  Curt

Adrenaline HD v 2.1.5 HP xw8200 3.4GHz, 3G Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 20 2006 5:44 AM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

Unlink might help.

1. Decompose your sequence as usual
    2. Highlight all of the master clips
    3. Hold Alt-Shift and then use menu Clip > Unlink (ALT-SHIFT changes relink to unlink)
    4. When you've unlinked all your master clips, then use Clip > Relink (I mainly use link to specific resolution 2:1 or above, but obviously adjust to suit your needs.)

I had exactly the problem that you're having, and unlink solved it.
    Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 20 2006 8:30 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Thanks for the suggestions...

I will try the un-link trick... although when I did try to do a re-link I had it 'un-link lower quality media' and after they were unlinked I tried to re-link again.  But your method sounds a little different so it just might work.

Cstokes... thanks for the info.  The new sequence is from another system (another Adrenaline) but my previous sequence (the one that I have the up-rezed clips from) was from the same sequence so the tape names should be the same.  When I was using the Meridian Symphony on another job I was able to re-link to clips that were shorter than my original uprezed clips.  It worked great and saved tons of time.  The new clips didn't  have to be the same length as the originals (as long as they were shorter).  It seems with the new HD resolutions it doesn't re-link as well as it used to.  Hopefully avid can improve on this vital feature.

-Peter B

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 4:31 AM In reply to

Try this-

Don't decompose your new sequence. Click on it and hit relink. Select relink offline non master clips. select all drives.

try that. it works for me.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller