Latest post Fri, Jun 23 2006 3:48 PM by AZC. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 8:26 PM

• caveman72771
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Las Vegas
    • Posts 66
    • Points 915

DV Through SDI

running 2.2.4 on an 8200 3 gig ram....

If I capture DV through SDI on a DVCPro deck is the Avid transcoding 601 to DV or am I getting DV through SDI? 

If i'm not getting DV, does that transcoding process degrade the signal?

Thanks!!!!

2 roads diverged in a yellow wood and i....i took a nap under the shadiest tree and that has made all the difference.
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 8:35 PM In reply to

Re: DV Through SDI

How I see it and what I use. 
    If I want DV files in Avid I use a DV connection from the deck to MCA. If I want any other resolution I select SDI and use the deck to decompress the DV signal and Avid to compress to resolution of choice.
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 9:04 PM In reply to

• caveman72771
    • Not Ranked
    • Las Vegas
    • Posts 66
    • Points 915

I agree......The deck we use has only component, composite, S-video, and SDI.  It has no firewire option.  The Firewire equiped decks we have do not "edit".  I can only crash to tape.

The answer to my original question will determine if I have to get the firewire option for my deck.  Thanks

2 roads diverged in a yellow wood and i....i took a nap under the shadiest tree and that has made all the difference.
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 9:13 PM In reply to

Again not technical but what resolution do you work with?
    DSR80 here has SDI and no FW so I capture SDI at DV50 resolution rather than using a DV timeline.
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 9:28 PM In reply to

• caveman72771
    • Not Ranked
    • Las Vegas
    • Posts 66
    • Points 915

usually 2:1....but my Corporate engineer is telling me to work in DV.  He even wants my render settings to be DV and he says that it won't start getting muddy after rendering.  To me, that's crazy talk if you start re-compressing DV, it gets nasty....I appreciate the questions!!!!

it keeps the thread fresh!!!!!

• Thu, Jun 22 2006 4:57 PM In reply to

• caveman72771
    • Not Ranked
    • Las Vegas
    • Posts 66
    • Points 915

original question wasn't answered yet...

Bump
  • Thu, Jun 22 2006 5:25 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

I can remember at the beginning of the Meridien days, one of my competitors bought he's Xpress Meridien with the SDI option (firewire wasn't already availlable !)

He could "capture" he's DVCam signal avoiding the analog conversion . Result was rather good, and allowed better resolutions (as DV25). I am convinced that DV converted in a higher resolution is the way to go, DV50 (as Andrew said) is close to 2;1. Don't change the render setings to DV, you'll get crappy titles and graphics ! You'll be really disappointed by poor quality. DV25 isn't a professionnal standard in my opinion ! 

That's my opinion, (I am working in PAL) It seems NTSC users have additionnal surprises with DV, in particular because of a lack of pixels, 720X488 in "normal" NTSC resolution and 720 X480 in DV !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Fri, Jun 23 2006 3:48 PM In reply to

• AZC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2005
    • Florida
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

sep:

That's my opinion, (I am working in PAL) It seems NTSC users have additionnal surprises with DV, in particular because of a lack of pixels, 720X488 in "normal" NTSC resolution and 720 X480 in DV !

Some people refer to NTSC as "Not The Same Color." A producer I know calls it "Not The Same Color - Twice." Note that I am in NTSC-Land. That said, PAL isn't perfect, either, but they both seem to work.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller