Latest post Wed, Jan 23 2019 4:06 PM by javierdh. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 23 2019 12:24 AM

• javierdh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 35
    • Points 455

4k project workflow

I am about to do my fiirst 4k project. I know my system can handle 9 streams in 720p, but I am going nowhere with 4 streams at 4K, so before I start going crazy transcoding and importing I would like to know a recommended workflow.

Thanks! 

J

Mac 2x3 ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8gb ram, two Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video cards with matrox MXO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2019 9:21 AM In reply to

Re: 4k project workflow

You can sort of work out stream counts by looking at the datarate of the content and the throughput of the storge system to the computer but that makes no allowance for how hard it is to decode the content. 4K content is normally heavily compresses using a demanding codec like H264 or H265 and thats an additional demand on nthe system.

Assuming you aren't saturating your data pipe from storage to CPU I suspect its decoding which is the killer.

So you could make DNxHR proxys if you want to keep the 4K resolution but have a lighter codec to work with.

Is it really 4K or are you talking UHD? (really need to be clear on this as 4K will probably need a frameflex to crop t UHD and thats additional workload)

As always do a test offline to online conform to confirm your workflow is valid before you proceed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Jan 23 2019 3:50 PM In reply to

• javierdh
    • Not Ranked
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 35
    • Points 455

The files are from FS7 cameras, 264mb/s, 4096*2160 at 29.97 are the specs. (My drive array test= 930mb/s) I should have been more precise in the question on workflow, meaning that I don't understand how the proxy workflow works.  

I already tried opening a 720 project and linked the files, but it does not work, I guess the link still has to work with the 4k data. Does this means that I import (not link) the files at a lower res? Or is there a simplier way to create the proxys?

I also tried creating the project at 4K DCI and set the proxy tab to 1/16, same results. I simply don't know the correct proccess to do the proxy.

This is a 2 hour concert.

Again, Thanks!

Mac 2x3 ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8gb ram, two Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video cards with matrox MXO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2019 4:06 PM In reply to

• javierdh
    • Not Ranked
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 35
    • Points 455

Ok, today with a clearer state of mind, I found this very well explained tutorial regarding the proxy /relinking process.

https://youtu.be/PKaK397eVLI

Thanks!

J

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller