Latest post Wed, Feb 6 2019 3:54 PM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:53 PM

Operating one audio plug-in over 2 channels

Hi,

I think this is a simple one, as done it before, but somehow I have forgotten.  When audio editing, if I open the audio mixer and in one of the four available plug-in slots add, say, EQ3 7-band (mono) on tracks A1 & A2, from the top how do I open the plug-in just the once and it is manipulating both tracks?  I guess this is a group thing, so how exactly to appropriately group the two tracks, and how then to have one opened plug-in manipulate both tracks?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Operating one audio plug-in over 2 channels

I don't think you can. What you can do, is alt-drag a plugin from one track/bank to another in the Audio Mixer (if the destination bank is empty).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 2:27 PM In reply to

Hi Job, thank you.  Can you detail exactly what this entails, thank you.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:46 PM In reply to

Hi Job, can you please take a look at my query directly above?  Also, can I (forgotten how to do it) put the A1 & A2 mono audios on a combined (stereo) track and then apply the plug-in, which then controls the two-as-one?  In this instance the audio is recorded on a Rode mic feeding into a Beachtek pre-amp that then feeds into my GH5. Strictly speaking, it's a mono feed that through the pre-amp splits onto two mono tracks. So, presumably, the impression of stereo which my MC now has can be combined onto a combined audio track with one plug-in controlling this? DC

• Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:59 PM In reply to

If you have a track plugin on A1, you will see it in one of the plugin banks in the AudioMixer, above the A1 fader. You will also see blank banks for each track. 

The effect label you see on a bank above A1, you can alt-drag onto any of the empty banks, thereby copying the effect from one bank/track to another.

If you have a 2-ch mono clip, and would like to treat it as a stereo clip, select it in the bin, choose clip-modify, choose Set Multichannel Audio, click the triangle next to A1/A2 and choose stereo, Apply. The clip will now load as a stereo clip into your source monitor and you can add it to stereo tracks in your sequence now.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:05 PM In reply to

P.S. It is recommended to not use double mono tracks. A mono signal needs just one channel. Much cleaner timelines as well.

• Wed, Feb 6 2019 10:05 AM In reply to

Hi Job, thank you.  Yes, modifying the clip is easier. Silly question, though I'll ask: What's the difference between EQ 7-Band Mono and Stereo plug-ins? What should I use in this context (formerly two single mono tracks modified to one track covering both channels)? And which to use in more complex situations utilising music, sound fx, etc.?

• Wed, Feb 6 2019 3:54 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:

Hi Job, thank you.  Yes, modifying the clip is easier. Silly question, though I'll ask: What's the difference between EQ 7-Band Mono and Stereo plug-ins? What should I use in this context (formerly two single mono tracks modified to one track covering both channels)? And which to use in more complex situations utilising music, sound fx, etc.?

The mono ones will apply to monophonic tracks/clips, the stereo ones to stereo tracks/clips. You can't apply the wrong one, MC won't let you. The difference is the amount of channels handled by the plugin.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller