Latest post Sun, Feb 10 2019 9:54 AM by cls105. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 8 2019 12:10 AM

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,450

Same as source ama/mxf export would be cool.

I like ama file export, but shouldnt there be a same as source option or something?

Im using windows so i dislike exporting quicktime.

thx

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:15 AM In reply to

Re: Same as source ama/mxf would be cool.

You can't have SAS from AMA. The AMA plugin is needed to access the various AMA sources. How could that translate into a single file?

RAW footage for example has to be processed before playback by the AMA plugin.

You have to transcode to a standalone codec before you can do SAS and your output file needs to have the same codec for each clip and its unlikley all your AMA sources are the same codec.

Premieres idea of linking clips like AMA (they call that import) and then doing a transcode in the background to a proxy file is ideal. Your clips then can be the source or the transcoded copy by your choice.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Feb 8 2019 1:43 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    The AMA plugin is needed to access the various AMA sources.
    The OP is talking about AMA _export_, asking for a way to export native media that way, same as source, so without re-transcoding.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 9 2019 7:44 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,450

The problem is with exporting long projects.

I'm working on a 90minute doc in uhd.  I always render as I work.

And exporting the timeline, takes about 20-25 minutes with ama export (then I compress with AME).  And the cpu usage is at 100% on all cores the entire time when ama exporting.

There really shouldnt be much cpu processing if I am rendering my work as I go along.

I am also rendering to my 2tb nvme drive, so there shoud be a method to export super quickly if everything on my timeline is rendered.  Quicktime same as source seems to give me issues (all black, etc)

This why in the past ive suggested being able to render the entire timeline to a nvme drive, even if the clips don't really require rendering.  I want my entire timeline "cached" to my nvme drive, and when its time to export, i want to happen super quickly.

One can get 2tb nvme drives for $350 now.  I want my entire timeline on this drive (dnxhr_lb uhd) without having to consolidate my media or mixing down to it (rendering as I work is fine).  And then the timeline should export in seconds with this data rate (if there was a media processor sas option).

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 9 2019 2:45 PM In reply to

If the soure is native media then it should conslidate to a target drive. If not a Transcode can be used.

This sounds like the cache that Resolve uses and I think Premiere has something similar.

But in MC I just get to the codec I need via a transcode and then work with that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Feb 9 2019 11:58 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,450

DELETED

• Sun, Feb 10 2019 6:30 AM In reply to

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 10 2019 9:54 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,450

Back to the topic and I don't want to beat a dead horse.

And I shouldnt be complaining about exporting a 82 min uhd timeline to dnxhr_sq via media processor in 15-16mins.

But its just strange to me that a fully rendered timeline is using so much cpu (although im glad my $ was well spent) to export.

Ideally, a fully rendered timeline should mainly use disk speed, and little cpu.

Which brings me to another point.  Is is there a "generation loss" or recompression going on when exporting ama (to lb or sq) since its not same as source?

This is why I think it would be good to just render the entire timeline while working to a specific setting, and when its time to export, bam, super quick.  I guess thats what same as source quicktime was (it doesnt work with the dnxhr codecs), but Avid hasnt implemented this method with media processor.

I should focus on editing but im addicted to peak performance :/

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller