Latest post Thu, Feb 14 2019 6:09 PM by camoscato. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:31 PM

Photo-JPEG mov.’s not Linking but will Import

I just received some files played out from Shotgun, and they are in the Photo JPEG codec. While I can bring these in via traditional File->Import Media, I would prefer to link to them (alt-drag or via source browser). But when I do so, the resulting clips show the “wrong format” image.

I don’t know why, is there any way I can force Source Browser to somehow properly handle this codec?

thx

(this is on 2018.5, win7 Pro x64)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:34 PM In reply to

Re: Photo-JPEG mov.’s not Linking but will Import

Hi Job,

If you open the Source Browser are there any clues to the problem? What plug-in is MC using to link to them, and are there any other choices?

I'm stabbing in the dark. Sorry.

Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 6:36 AM In reply to

I don’t think Source Browser gave me any insight, nor did I see which plugin it is using, nor did ai see a way to change that.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:44 AM In reply to

There are (should be) columns for all the metadata MC can "see", like Codec, FPS, Color Space, and there's a Plug-in column which shows you which plug-in MC is using. If you right click on the Plug-in column you get a drop-down menu that shows you what other plug-ins are available to choose from.

I'm not certain using a different plug-in will fix a "wrong format" situation, but it's worth a look.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 9:01 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 553
    • Points 7,055

Job ter Burg:

I don’t think Source Browser gave me any insight, nor did I see which plugin it is using, nor did ai see a way to change that.

If you look at the 4th or 5th column in the Source Browser, you'll see it says 'Plug-in'. This should tell you what AMA plug-in it's currently using. It's likely you're seeing 'Can't be Linked'

You can click on this field and sometimes you'll get a drop-down list of alternatives you can try. If you don't get any alternatives, (and you can't find suitable AMA software from Avid's AMA web page) then importing is the only way left open to you.

There are a few paid-for plugins out there (like Drastic Mediareactor Lite) that might open up these Photo-Jpegs for linking, but you'd need to check with the company before parting with the cash. Details are on the Avid web page

https://www.avid.com/plugins/ama-plugins

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2019 10:33 AM In reply to

Thanks Bruno, this is most helpful. I will check this out. Shows you how little I have ever needed to use Source Browser....!

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:53 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    If you open the Source Browser...

Job ter Burg:
    I don’t think Source Browser...

camoscato:
    ...there's a Plug-in column which shows...

Bruno M:
    ...column in the Source Browser, you'll see it says 'Plug-in'.

Job ter Burg:
    Thanks Bruno, this is most helpful.

I'm not gonna lie, my heart just broke a little. This is the worst Valentine's Day ever. [:'(]

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 1:09 PM In reply to

D’oh! So sorry, Carl, I had missed your posting! Nothing but love for you my friend.

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 1:43 PM In reply to

Well, you know, first it was finding out that I won't be on TV when I win the Oscar for News & Sports Editing, and now this. I'm sorry; it's been a tough week.

;)

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 1:57 PM In reply to

I feel your pain!

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 2:52 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 553
    • Points 7,055

camoscato:

Well, you know, first it was finding out that I won't be on TV when I win the Oscar for News & Sports Editing, and now this. I'm sorry; it's been a tough week

;)

As Sheldon Cooper once said...

"The true hero doesn’t seek adulation, he fights for right and justice simply because it’s his nature."

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2019 4:25 PM In reply to

Bruno M:

As Sheldon Cooper once said...

"The true hero doesn’t seek adulation, he fights for right and justice simply because it’s his nature."

Haha, well, it'd be nice to have some adulation. ;)

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 5:29 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 553
    • Points 7,055

camoscato:
    Haha, well, it'd be nice to have some adulation. ;)

Ok, here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYwtieZwhhc

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 6:09 PM In reply to

Perfect!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller