Latest post Thu, Feb 21 2019 3:15 PM by JPBU. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 15 2019 8:59 PM

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,945

User settings and Slow performances

After weeks of trying to figure out what was slowing down my MC Timeline (sluggish when moving things around, delay when hitting plays, etc.), it seems my problem is from my user settings. User settings that were created from scratch in December…

It seems now, if I simply create a new user settings, this solves everything. I can even copy the.xml from my old user, change the file names, and voila! It does not make much sense to me. Every time I see some lag, I just switch back and forth between an old user and my new one, and everything comes back to normal. No restart necessary. 

Can anyone explain to me what might “corrupt” or slowdown a user setting ? After a few tests I can say it has nothing to do with any timeline display settings (icons, waveform, dupe detection, clip colors, etc.)

One thing I notice is the MediaTool.avb, that it is not in a newly created user setting. After deleting it 

Media Composer 2018.10 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 20 2019 5:21 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Re: User settings ans Slow performances

After deleting it what?  Don't leave me haning like that!

I'm experiencing near constant beachballs that last 2-3 seconds.  I tried creating a new user so hopefully that will help.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:08 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 19
    • Points 175

Would love to know more about this "MediaTool.avb" and deleting it. 

But also, so I understand what you're saying.  When you get lag in the timeline you just switch between users and back to the "slow" user settings again?  I've definitely switched between users and saw no improvment.  But I'm unclear if you're saying toggling between users fixes the problem or if you have to dupe the xml and create a "new" user to fix the problem.

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 3:15 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,945

I’m sorry, I did not realize my message was cut in half. 

About switching user. 

What I did was to create a new user from Media Composer project selection window. Then, from the user settings folder, I simply copy the .ave and .xml from my old "slow" user and rename them to match my new user settings name, paste them in the new user settings folder to replace what is there. The idea was to avoid recreating all my shortcut and workspace. This solved the slow timeline issue for me after a MC restart and using the new user settings. 

Since then, maybe 2–3 times my timeline was starting to be slower. All I did was to switch back and forth between another user (a basic user created just for that in my case) and this seems to solve the problem.

But after investigating a bit more, it seems to me that what is slowing down the system, is loading up the Media Tool. Even once it’s closed, the timeline is still super slow. 

My solution is to delete the  “MediaTool.avb” in the user settings folder that gets created when loading the MediaTool for the first time. Then I close MC, open my project with my “blank basic user settings” and switch back to my regular settings once the project is loaded, and things go back to being normal. 

This weird behavior must be some kind of a bug, but there must be an easier work around, but this works for me. I lived for months with a slow timeline and it is such a relief to be able to work at “full” speed again… 

I would love to know if I’m the only one experiencing this issue. I have about 350 hours of footage indexed in the media tool.

Media Composer 2018.10 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller