Latest post Tue, Feb 19 2019 12:23 PM by BarkinMadd. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 18 2019 3:28 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 12 2018
    • North of Toronto Ontario
    • Posts 32
    • Points 390

Re: Colour Grading Tool - Looking for options

Tried installing the free DaVinci app and it wont start...web indicates it's a common problem.

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

• Mon, Feb 18 2019 3:35 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Martin Fox:

i thought of the baselight plug in but couldn’t see how you could simultaneously refer to an adjacent shot while grading, 

(I didn’t try it).

Hi Martin,

After I posted this same question, below, I had a look at the most recent tutorial for Baselight 5.1 on the Filmlight website and they do describe the use of the scratchpad to capture the equivalent of power windows in Resolve and then you can wipe between the current shot and one of the scratchpad slots to perform shot matching (you can even use the new base grade to perform a preliminary color match between the reference (scratchpad image) and the current segment).

It would be worth creating a tutorial to demonstrate this workflow as it is something that was not readily available in Baselight 4.4 and is one of several new features to that the Baselight integration to the next level.

Not sure if I will have time but if I do, I'll post a link back to this thread.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Feb 18 2019 3:38 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Matthew Clulow:

Tried installing the free DaVinci app and it wont start...web indicates it's a common problem.

Resolve is a power-hungery application. It typically requires a top-end GPU such as an nVidia 1080 TI or a P4000 (usually a pair of these, actually). Mileage may vary and some have had success with lesser machines.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Feb 18 2019 5:53 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 7,390

Matthew Clulow:

Looking at your specs, it looks like you're using an onboard Intel Graphics chip, which may be the problem.

Resolve will work reasonably well with a modest Nvidia card. If you don't want to splash out on a new card then something like a second-hand Quadro 4200 should work.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 18 2019 6:57 PM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 7 2014
    • Geneva
    • Posts 27
    • Points 315

In Baselight for Avid, unfortunately, wipe is available only on UI display, and not on the video output/reference monitor.

I contacted Baselight support which had confirmed that limitation.  

My question: "I'm trying to use scratchpad to match different shots. I managed to do that on my GUI display, but I didn't find any solution to have a WIPE view or a side-by-side view displayed on my reference display. Is it actually possible?"

Support answer: "This isn’t possible - the wipe is only shown on the UI display. 

Media Composer 2018.12.1, w/Symphony/SS/PF options, MAC PRO 2013 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, ATI FirePro D500 3072 Mo, 32 GB RAM, MacOS 10.13.6, AJA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 18 2019 11:16 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,380

damien78:

In Baselight for Avid, unfortunately, wipe is available only on UI display, and not on the video output/reference monitor.

I contacted Baselight support which had confirmed that limitation.  

My question: "I'm trying to use scratchpad to match different shots. I managed to do that on my GUI display, but I didn't find any solution to have a WIPE view or a side-by-side view displayed on my reference display. Is it actually possible?"

Support answer: "This isn’t possible - the wipe is only shown on the UI display. 

Thanks for the explanation, it’s a pity as the UI is not a good enough reference, perhaps with use one can get a feel for it.

Regarding the resolve app, the App Store version is limited in some way compared to the free download from the BMD website, perhaps someone could clarify the differences.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 12:23 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Martin Fox:

Thanks for the explanation, it’s a pity as the UI is not a good enough reference, perhaps with use one can get a feel for it.

I agree but the reference wipe on the UI IS probably good enough for shot matching...

Martin Fox:

Regarding the resolve app, the App Store version is limited in some way compared to the free download from the BMD website, perhaps someone could clarify the differences.

I have heard this as well but I can't recall the difference - Why not buy the studio version from a retailer such as BandH? (BTW - if you don't mind using a dongle, if you buy the studio version of Fusion, it will also enable the studio version of Resolve)

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller