Latest post Wed, Mar 20 2019 5:55 PM by joe@846rock.com. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:10 PM

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

set your media files location

its 2019 maybe its time to let us choose were we want to put our avid media files

the drive latters are killing us... 

for any big studio with lots of small projects its a nightmare.

also it works fine with any other nle software.

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:32 PM In reply to

Re: set your media files location

Its true this is an area thats been overlooked. However of course its not that straight forward. Media Composer has an inductry leading robust media management design that works standalone or scales to multiseat bshared solutions.

The flexibility other systems have is often at the expense of reliable media management.

So ensuring a balance is found is critical or MC just becomes as flaky as other systems at managing media.

But I agree some simple changes would make a bg difference.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:42 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

it's all true but....

it's 2019 and every other editing\vfx\sound\3d etc. that is not avid works like this....

come on guys (or girls) your killing us.

thanks

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 9:43 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

shchoona1:
    come on guys (or girls) your killing us.
    Really?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:57 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

2019 the big studios became bigger and grows their storage space.

The thing is that for big studios - this simplicity and permanency - makes sence.
    Because you always know where your media files are - they are always in root folder.
    Big studios - uses nexis, it's named workspaces and access rights for media files. 
    Each small project has it's own named workspace. 

This simplicity - decreases soo many errors, that are in other NLEs.

But maybe there could be a thing inside MC which could sort things by folders on project / or on date basis.

This thing is for smaller studios wih many small project on one/two drives and total mess with editors.
    Where everybody puts their media where they want. 

But even in this case in total mess with smaller projects - this thing when everything was stored in one place - helps to keep things online and not loose them.

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:38 AM In reply to

[quote user="DJFio[DB]"]This thing is for smaller studios wih many small project on one/two drives and total mess with editors.

Where everybody puts their media where they want. 

But even in this case in total mess with smaller projects - this thing when everything was stored in one place - helps to keep things online and not loose them. [/quote]

The MXF folder offers a very easy "solution to this using existing "Avid" methodology. Give Projects an option to select a number range that Avid creates and writes to for that Project in the MXF folder.  Avid then uses the lowest number in that range as it's "1" folder for that project. Once the range is selected for a project that number range of folders could only be written to by that project.

I would also like the option to make one of the folders in the projects folder range to be set so renders write to just that folder. 

All projects on this system would be able to read all folders in the MXF folder so this concept keeps Avid's reliable and stable Media Management as it is at  present. It would allow optional project based media management.  At a projects end the projects folders are Avid indexed so could be given descriptive Alpha numeric names. Easily findable in the MXF folder but available for everyone on the system and Protected by the existing Avid "Only" write to the 1 folder unless it is full programming.

Thinking about this, something based on the above would fit all of my Project based media management needs. Simple, straight forward and OPTIONAL.

Alayne

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:27 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

@Alayne Holmes -  good idea!
    If everything will stay as it is for backwards compatibility, but for particular project user can specify folder numbers greater than 1000.
    for instance  - project "one" uses numbers from 8000(8001,8002 etc), and project two uses numbers beginning with 1500(15001,15002) - in this case project's folders will never mess with each other. 

this will also help to sort things during import or consolidate  process - if you change prefix - the new consolidated/imported files will be put in new folders such as 20190208. sounds good.

Conclusion:

Idea is to add something like "NUMERIC Prefix" for generated media folders to each project settings .

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 10:58 AM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

these are all good ideas but still a work around 

its not so complicated just to get rid of drive letter.

maybe avid dosnt wont to let go because they afriaid of sales drop on nexis systems (my theory)

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 1:19 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

Drive letter - is the Windows thing only. On the OS X - there's no driveletters at all.

@shchoona1 - call Microsoft :)

DJFio[DB]

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 1:29 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

But still a drive per media files only in root folder

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:20 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,465

I agree with this request - whilst there can be good arguments for keepinfg things the way they are - for those with Avid controlled shared storge, there are equally good arguments for allowing the user to opt out and specify his or her own storage structure.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:38 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 5:10 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

So... everybody agrees that this is a good thing come on avid it's your turn now :-)

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 5:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,401
    • Points 41,055

I agree that Alayne Holmes suggestion is both reasonable and the most likely that Avid could easily implement.

And that is an important consideration.

There is limited funding for software development when a program costs so little.  And there are MANY things users would like.

Me, I would much rather have a true resolution independent update to the 3D Warp tool.  Others will rightly think something on their list should be at the top.

Now I will get flamed.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:42 PM In reply to

shchoona1:

But still a drive per media files only in root folder

This is not true. For years now with Windows you have been able to make any folder into a "Virtual Drive" using a simple text file with it's file extension changed to .bat extension. There are numerous program options available that will do the same job.  This allows 20+ folders to each be allocated a drive letter and therefore have an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 stucture in them that Avid recognises. 
    For instance create a shchoona1 folder on your media drive F:\ drive.   Make "shchoona1" into a virtual drive  G:\ . Avid will see your shchoona1 folder as G:\  and recognise an Avid MediaFiles Folder inside shchoona1  as being at the root level of the G:\ and work flawlessly with it.   

5 minutes planning and setting this up at the start of a project gives you the advantages you say all other "NLE's" plus the bonus of Avid's media managements strengths and reliability.  One of the people here has used this system for over a decade and has many backup drives each setup with several Project named folders containing Avid MediaFiles folders. Simpy make the Project name folder into a "virtual drive" and start editing where you left off years ago.  He says there are posts in these forums that outline how this same process can be used on Mac based systems.

Alayne

Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller