Latest post Wed, Mar 20 2019 5:55 PM by joe@846rock.com. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:47 PM In reply to

Re: set your media files location

jef:
    Me, I would much rather have a true resolution independent update to the 3D Warp tool.  Others will rightly think something on their list should be at the top.

Now I will get flamed.

Jef

Why would you be flamed? Our diverse needs and desires helps to makes us competent editors!

Alayne

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:54 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,095

Alayne Holmes:

jef:
    Me, I would much rather have a true resolution independent update to the 3D Warp tool.  Others will rightly think something on their list should be at the top.

Now I will get flamed.

Jef

Why would you be flamed? Our diverse needs and desires helps to makes us competent editors!

Alayne

Partially in jest, but also based on other discussions that have occured on this (and any) user list.  And I did not expect YOU to flame me.   ;)

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:07 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,095

Alayne Holmes:

shchoona1:

But still a drive per media files only in root folder

This is not true. For years now with Windows you have been able to make any folder into a "Virtual Drive" using a simple text file with it's file extension changed to .bat extension. There are numerous program options available that will do the same job.  This allows 20+ folders to each be allocated a drive letter and therefore have an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 stucture in them that Avid recognises. 
    For instance create a shchoona1 folder on your media drive F:\ drive.   Make "shchoona1" into a virtual drive  G:\ . Avid will see your shchoona1 folder as G:\  and recognise an Avid MediaFiles Folder inside shchoona1  as being at the root level of the G:\ and work flawlessly with it.   

5 minutes planning and setting this up at the start of a project gives you the advantages you say all other "NLE's" plus the bonus of Avid's media managements strengths and reliability.  One of the people here has used this system for over a decade and has many backup drives each setup with several Project named folders containing Avid MediaFiles folders. Simpy make the Project name folder into a "virtual drive" and start editing where you left off years ago.  He says there are posts in these forums that outline how this same process can be used on Mac based systems.

Alayne

While I see that as useful tool for some, it does not really help our company.  Here is why.

We use a shared storage system (not Avid).  We are primarily Mac based.  So we have built a workflow where we create a partition on the shared storage for each project.  Makes archiving great.  Being mac it is volume name based - name of project.  For the few rooms which are windows it can become a real headache.  Sometimes 26 letters is not enough to keep from having duplicate path names. 

I know that sounds crazy, but having worked as one of the few PC users on the system (Avid DS) for awhile it DOES happen.  Example: If I need to mount Y:/whatever_project A and Y:/whatever_project_B, only one will be able to be mounted as Y.  And all the links on the other will be wrong when you are forced to mount it as G:

And, yes you can pre plan all you want, but in my experience Murphy loves post production.  ;)

I would LOVE to have away around this.  It is one of the biggest reasons holding us on Macs.

Just my 2 cents.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:34 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

Agin with the media drive.....

It dosnt matter if its a Mac or pc the problem is the need for a media drive.

Why cant it be in a folder or sub folder?

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 11:11 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

because media drive - is a simple location

and folder / or subfolder - is a complex thing, changing over time.

It's easier to troubleshoot, transfer to another person, another os, etc....

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 11:16 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

don't make things more complicated if you can keep them simple.

complex algorithms has more bugs than simple ones.

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 11:48 AM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 15
    • Points 195

Agree.

What we have now works perfectly and is well understood.

Sometimes a little rigidity is a good thing.

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 12:47 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

I dont agree at all.

What we have now works fine but its 90's technology and its not good enough

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 1:23 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 273
    • Points 3,595

shchoona1:

I dont agree at all.

What we have now works fine but its 90's technology and its not good enough

AVID - outdated  
    Internet is outdated  -  ~1989
    IPv4 - outdated 1981
    IPV6 - outdated 1996

What are we talking about?

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 1:41 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

so i guss that you didnt read the thread here but there are many workflows today and the media drive is just not good enough

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 1:46 PM In reply to

@shchoona1, is your issue mainly that you now have to use drive letters?

I have to say that I like the amount of control I have, knowing where to look for media, so I can easily back-up or move. I do often use virtual mounting points for a single local storage volume, for example to have separate folders for picture and sound media.

And one of the things I dislike about many other applications is that they tend to scatter files all over the system unless you pay attention. With MC, I don't have to pay attention that much. OK, a little.

And obviously, with AMA-linked footage, it can in fact live anywhere (that always makes me a bit nervous, so I guess that makes me old school ;) ).

I'm not saying none of this can or should be modernized.

I'm just trying to get to finding out what your exact issue is, so we may all think about how this could be addressed in case Avid were to change their mediafiles organization at any point.

P.S.: with Nexis you usually still end up with drive letters. If Nexis were any reason for not changing the mediafiles structure, it would be because of the way MC differentiates between shared and non-shared Mediafiles folders. Not with sales, as I sincerely doubt anyone is getting Nexis to avoid drive letters. Many other reasons to use Nexis.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 22 2019 3:48 PM In reply to

P.S. Current ACA vote about future features for Media Composer lets you vote on your wish, so you're not the only one asking for this, and it may just happen. So vote :)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 24 2019 7:59 AM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 8:19 AM In reply to

shchoona1:

were do i vote

Start here: https://www.avid.com/avidcustomerassociation

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 3:15 PM In reply to

Hi Shchoona1,

I followed this thread for 2 days or so. I'm one of those guys that has been using this Avid 'media drive' workflow from those 90's and I more or less disagree with you that it needs to be changed. It is one of the most well thought through methods of keeping track of 'what goes where' (including the ability to recreate the mdb and pmr 'database' files to have quick access to that media at any time), be it on local or shared storage. And almost the same architecture is also used in large systems using Interplay but that's another thing altogether.

That said, I and many others around here agree that the user interface, specifically the media tool, could and should be (or have been by now) upgraded. You will find multiple threads in these forums where other users request the functionality that can be found in (free) utilities like MDV and Mediamover to be integrated in Avid.

I also agree that drive letters are a pain in windows and that in shared storage environments unc paths should be standard for media locations in MC.

But there are more reasons I believe changing this is problematic. The current MC 2018.12.1 is still able to open (almost) all projects and media created on old systems like for example Xpress Pro on a Powermac 9x00 or a Compaq w8000 running Windows NT. That backwards compatibility is important for those that have almost 2 decades of tape archives (LTO or other) of their projects. And others that saved only their projects and sequences and want to batch capture the media from original tapes also still can.

But the main reason I'm against it, is because I have doubts that a new system will be better than the existing one. Avid has been trying to integrate AMA (re)linking since media composer 3.5 and these forums are full of threads showing how that process evolved. It remains till this day a design with problems.

Simply said, I would focus on how to achieve the best workflow with how MC works, not on how it needs to be changed so it does what you want. As can be seen from previous posts I'm pretty sure if you explain details of your workflow many including myself are willing to share some thoughts on how to achieve the workflow to want.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 2 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller