Latest post Mon, Feb 25 2019 8:40 AM by Supermandan1. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 20 2019 2:57 PM

NewBlue FX Titler Pro 6 help questions...

Hi,

I've just purchased NewBlue FX Titler Pro 6 and am now playing around.  Unfortunately, while the product is pretty cool, it looks like the company's support services is not going to be nearly-responsive enough and their forum virtually a wasteland (this here Avid forum has been invaluable to my development, kudos to the moderators). While this may not be the place to ask, still I was hoping that some people could take a look at the following questions (in no particular order).  Thank you kindly, DC

i) Playing around, I have a simple text box open with any ol’ name name filled in, and while the effect is positioned on a video track above the intended clip in MC, playing along the timeline in TP6's UI and the beneath-person’s face can be seen in “Start” and “End” during the elastic timeline, but not in the “Middle” (it shows a black background, even though in view “Video from NLE” is checked). Further, if I switch off the elastic timeline, then the entire background is black.

ii) Can text boxes, etc., be snapped into place within the safe margins? At the moment it seems only to be a manual, fumbling, inaccurate process.

iii) When dropping a Titler Pro effect onto the timeline, making changes within TP6's UI, etc., then whether from the File drop-down > Save As... or simply closing the program and thus returning to MC (assuming these are the same thing), it appears (not sure if I am framing this question correctly) that the updated file is default-saved in C > Documents. Silly question, but does that mean this element(?) is on C? I ask because I keep all work on an external hard drive and would like this new file to be stored there, too (with all components, if this is how saving is done). Maybe create a new folder (and sub-folders?) on the external drive and simply save the newly-created file to there? Do other items like caches save to a specified drive, and how to ensure the one you choose?

iv) Where do renderings save on your computer?  And is this the same as cacheing?

v) When opening up the Library tab - with, like, a gazillion templates in it - there is no search function. That seems a basic missing.

vi) I have created a 7-sec clip-space on a video track and dropped in the TP6 effect. Opening up TP6, next a particular template was chosen, but now starting to work on it and it appears that the effect is only 3 secs long and cannot be extended. Somehow, I do not believe this, but cannot figure out how to adapt.

Surely, there will be a few more question.  Thank you in advance,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: NewBlue FX Titler Pro 6 help questions...

Can anyone supply some answers? Thank you

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,280
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Let me get Caleb to see this....

stand by Superman....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 7:47 PM In reply to

Hi DC,

Thanks for purchasing Titler Pro 6! Sorry for our delay getting back to your support request.  We are typically able to answer requests within 1 business day. But I understand you have been waiting longer than that and I am very sorry for the delay.

For the benefit of the forum, I'll answer your questions here:

i) In this example, how long is the Titler Pro effect on your MC timeline?  Could you share a screenshot of your Title Designer that shows both the Titler and NLE duration fields?

ii) Yes, Titler Pro does have snapping and will snap to the safe area guides.  If you have the Marking Grid enabled, I would recommend disabling it.  The Marking grid has so many snap-points, it can "feel" as though snapping is off.  I find that adding Markers to snap to is generally the most effective way to use snapping.

iii) Currently, all your title information is stored in your MC project.  So you can think of using the Save/Save As Commands to save a backup of your title project, independently of your MC project.  That being said, if you choose to save a Titler Pro Project, you can specify the location.

iv) I have asked for clarification on where the cache files for Titler in MC are saved (it varies by host-application).  I will follow-up with you on that. In Titler Pro 6, you cannot specify the cache file directory. We do plan to offer user-specified cache directories in future versions.

v) I agree that the lack of search functionality is a shortcoming in the library.  That is another improvement we have in the roadmap.

vi) With Elastic Timeline, it is best practice to design your titles as short as possible, while accommodating any animations (this helps speed up renders).  Therefore, you'll notice most stock designs are 2-3 seconds, but Elastic Timeline conforms the design to the duration in your MC timeline.  You can learn more about the feature here: https://newbluefx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005259066-Elastic-Timeline

You can change the duration of the timeline in Titler Pro by editing the Titler time-field.

I hope that helps!  Don't hesitate to let me know if you have some additional questions.

• Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:16 PM In reply to

Hi Caleb,

Thank you for getting back. I've just found a Lyna.com tutorial set covering titles, including a bit on Titler Pro, so a few answers will come there.

I haven't gone through your lengthy response here (focusing on tutorials first), so will come back to you sone with the things you request.

For now, can I ask how best to start an effect in Titler Pro?  What I mean is, I'm new and needed a quick solution, so I bought it. There are templates (I'll figure out solo design another time) and these ultimately are stored in C > Documents.  For now, I c&P'd the one I wanted, saved it on an external drive, opened up TP6, pointed towards the file saved on the external drive, and started tweaking a template from here.  I'm looking for the best place from which to start a title: the front-end process being via MC, the back-end process where the file is stored.  Ideally, I want something that if I send an entire project to a 3rd-party editor, including MXF media and Avid Project files, how best, in the same package of essentials, do I best manage TP6 within this workflow then saved in the location of my suitable choosing?  (And does the exact TP6 file, here saved on the external drive, contain all the information & media (or how best phrased) to completely rebuild the effect when back in the NLE?)

Also, what exactly is cacheing?  And how is it different from both rendering and saving?

Lots here.  Again, thank you for your help on this.  A new bie like me needs it.

DC

• Fri, Feb 22 2019 11:33 AM In reply to

Hi Caleb,

Ok, with clearer head, now taking a proper look at your response.

i) I have been having problems uploading screenshots, etc., to the Avid forum (somehow I've reached my limit but deleting old ones doesn't release space). Ok, so I'm playing around with different templates & designs, etc., so a screenshot now wouldn't relate to my original question. It's just that I create a space on the timeline of, say, 8 seconds, add TP6 effect, open up your UI, and if its duration is 3secs then do I adjust in the duration field?

ii) Is the Marking grid only labelling the outside box, or the collective term for both inner & outer box?

iii) So, to clarify, once adding the TP6 effect in MC, all of its properties (both reference file and all associated design-media (or however best phrased) is saved within the confines of both the appropriate Avid Project file and the AvidMedia Files saved in the root directory of my preferred external hard drive?  (In the latter case, does this mean that the TP6 design-media is stored with an MXF folder within the AvidMedia Files folder?  If not, then where?  And can I direct this to the same external hard drive so as to facilitate easy transferring to a 3rd-party editor?)

iv) I reworded this question in my subsequent post.

v) Will an update in TP6 be available later to me foc?

vi) I get the purpose of the elastic timeline, though, as stated, in my case the "Middle" part (green) when scrubbed through does not show the video track below it.  In short, I cannot see what I am doing, whereas I can in "Start" and "End".

DC

• Sat, Feb 23 2019 12:41 PM In reply to

Hi Caleb,

Ok, so just started messing around, gonna play. Here are some rendering questions:

I added a TP6 effect on the timeline, went into it, changed text, positioned it, added colour, even added a video background. Cool. So what happens when I close?

i) A cache is what, a low-res back-up? If it is low res, when booted back up is this returning to hi-res from itself, or it references bigger data elsewhere?

ii) Rendering takes ages, so only render at final close? How do I do this other than turning this off, then turning back on only at final design off? In short, where is the "render at final close" button.

iii) if I render then it makes playback in Avid smoother. Where is this render saved, and is it overwritten if I make changes and re-render? If not, then rendering is going to be heavy on storage, with a lot of ultimately surplus-to-requirements files.

iv) Does rendering make final export quicker?

v) if I duplicate an effect then, I noticed, a prompt comes up saying that changes to one effect will affect its duplicate(s).  How to manage this?

Thank you,

DC

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 12:03 AM In reply to

Hi DC,

I did my best to get back to each of your questions:

i) I have been having problems uploading screenshots, etc., to the Avid forum (somehow I've reached my limit but deleting old ones doesn't release space). Ok, so I'm playing around with different templates & designs, etc., so a screenshot now wouldn't relate to my original question. It's just that I create a space on the timeline of, say, 8 seconds, add TP6 effect, open up your UI, and if its duration is 3secs then do I adjust in the duration field?

You can adjust the Titler timeline duration duration by editing the Titler time field, but the point of Elastic Timeline is that you don't have to.  Did you read the help link I shared?  It goes into depth explaining the feature.

ii) Is the Marking grid only labelling the outside box, or the collective term for both inner & outer box?

The Marking Grid is a particular workspace overlay.  See here: https://newbluefx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216090563-Workspace-Area

iii) So, to clarify, once adding the TP6 effect in MC, all of its properties (both reference file and all associated design-media (or however best phrased) is saved within the confines of both the appropriate Avid Project file and the AvidMedia Files saved in the root directory of my preferred external hard drive?  (In the latter case, does this mean that the TP6 design-media is stored with an MXF folder within the AvidMedia Files folder?  If not, then where?  And can I direct this to the same external hard drive so as to facilitate easy transferring to a 3rd-party editor?)

The Titler Pro library installs to a C:\Program Files subdirectory.  Currently we don't accomodate a user-specified location. 

The files in Documents are the cache files for all the designs in the library.  If you save any custom content to the library, that is also where it will be stored.

Therefore any system with TP6 installed will by default have all the fonts, textures, etc for any of our stock designs.  The only thing you would need for this use-case, is the Avid project/media files.

Once you're using your own custom designs, you would want to Save the titles with resources to migrade to another system.  You can find instructions in this article: https://newbluefx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214609706-Save-and-Export

v) Will an update in TP6 be available later to me foc?

At this time, I'm not aware of any updates planned for TP6.  That having been said, if we realease any updates to the TP6 product, you will receive it free of charge.

vi) I get the purpose of the elastic timeline, though, as stated, in my case the "Middle" part (green) when scrubbed through does not show the video track below it.  In short, I cannot see what I am doing, whereas I can in "Start" and "End".

In this case, how long is the effect on your MC timeline vs. the Titler Pro timeline?  Do you notice the same behavior regardless of the durations?

i) A cache is what, a low-res back-up? If it is low res, when booted back up is this returning to hi-res from itself, or it references bigger data elsewhere?

Caching means that Ttitler Pro renders a series of images that MC can reference for playback.  It increases playback performance and final render times.  You can learn more here: https://newbluefx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216093523-Caching-and-Performance

ii) Rendering takes ages, so only render at final close? How do I do this other than turning this off, then turning back on only at final design off? In short, where is the "render at final close" button.

There is no "render at final close" option.  You would either need to disable caching for all titles, then turn it back on when finished.  Or you can simply leave caching turned off.  In that case, the titles will be rendered along with the project.

iii) if I render then it makes playback in Avid smoother. Where is this render saved, and is it overwritten if I make changes and re-render? If not, then rendering is going to be heavy on storage, with a lot of ultimately surplus-to-requirements files.

I have not received information yet on where the cache is stored for MC.  The cache is overwritten when you make changes to the title.

v) if I duplicate an effect then, I noticed, a prompt comes up saying that changes to one effect will affect its duplicate(s).  How to manage this?

See this article: https://newbluefx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216099543-Multi-Title-Management

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 8:40 AM In reply to

Hi Caleb,

Lots here, thank you. The Lynda.com tutorial is good, answers a lot.

Ok, so I get it that the title duration and the length of the effect on MC's timeline must be the same, hence now no longer the black 'drop-out' issue (NOTE: half an hour later and both reading 8 secs but there is the black-out again, this time after c.4secs. But then all good when lengthening the 'middle' section. I still don't quite fully get it?).  I'm still not with it on the "final render at close" issue, though.  Just to clarify: I have 'render cache at close' unchecked, but unless I am misinterpreting something when closing the effect nevertheless renders. Now, I do not mind if every time I alter the effect the subsequent rendering overwrites the earlier render (being efficient with disk space). Is the rendering immediately after cacheing when closing a final/best quality render, or is it a temporary low-res render (to be overwritten as later changes are made)?  If the latter, then when is the final/super-dooper quality render done, during final export from MC or some other time I cannot yet fathom?

(Ok, I keep rewriting this overall question on the fly, while testing this, that & the other.  I decided to uncheck 'render at close', close down TP6 and re-enter MC. The effect buffers/drags in playback (ultimately, my laptop is good but not that good), and so I chose to render the effect in MC. The result was excellent. Now this may instead be an MC question, but thought to ask it here: if I later make changes to the effect in TP6 and re-render in MC, does the re-render overwrite the previous, or do all renders of this one particular effect 'stockpile', so to speak, the vast majority ultimately becoming superfluous?)

Also, can I have an infinite number of 3D Faces?  The Lynda.com tutorial includes this kind of thing, and I was just wondering why, in principle, a designer might want to keep adding faces, etc.?

Also, if I start with a template and make adjustments, when closing the specific TP6 file it saves in such a way as this is readily available the next time I start up again?  But let's say I want the adjustments to form the basis of a new template?  I then 'Save As' and in store this file where I choose, and two things will happen in due course. i) When booting up the application in MC again, I simply make further changes as and when, and the whole saves as previously described? In other words, don't worry about it and just continue working as per normal? ii) If when in a brand new project, I create the space in MC for the effect, drop the TP6 effect in, open up the controls, then what... File > Open and go find the recently-adjusted new template?

DC

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller