Latest post Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:49 AM by Julian. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 26 2019 9:23 AM

• ECS_1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 5 2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,170

Antimatte or Paint to create basic mask

Hi all

I'm having a nightmare with the most simple mask effects where I want to brighten up a portion of the image by cloning the segment, then using antimatte on the above track. 

I can apply the colour correction and then use antimatte to create a mask on the higher segment, I can even track the mask using the tracker. It all works well when I place that segment in the timeline on its own, I see the mask doing exactly what I want against a plain black background.

But the moment I place the untreated cloned segment below it, my color correction effect applies to the whole clip and not just the masked area.  Why is this? What am I doing wrong?

thanks a lot

Running Media Composer 6.5.4 Desktop: Inte; i7-6700k 4GHZ, 32GB RAM. Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Windows 7 Laptop: Sony Viao i5 240GHZ. 8GB RAM, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:23 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 156
    • Points 1,695

Re: Antimatte or Paint to create basic mask

try having your backround (ungraded) on V1 and the graded masked section on V3.

I can't remember if it applied to animatte but from memory sometimes keeping a buffer layer inbetween works.

If that doesn't work feel free to post a screengrab of the layers and effects and i'll see if i can advise more.

If you're on the latest version wtih Symphony you can use shape based correction too directly in colour corrector mode which could also work for you.

• Tue, Feb 26 2019 12:17 PM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 476
    • Points 6,470

I think you will need to apply your colour correction as part of a nested effect. 

highlight the clip and then use the 'step-in' command, apply the CC then 'step-out' to see the effect. 

Edit 1:- Intel Core i9 7900X msi x299-SLI-plus mobo 32GB DDR4 3000Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver 411.95) Samsung 860PRO SSD 512GB system... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Tue, Feb 26 2019 3:36 PM In reply to

I just took a clip on V1 and duplicated it onto V2. On V1 only, I added a color correction. On V2 clip I dropped an Animatte FX, set control to KEY OUT, then drew a circle from Oval Tool. I saw only the color-corrected V1 inside the circle. Is that useful?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:26 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 919
    • Points 11,770

If you have MC Symphonie option, you will get a "Shape based" color correction option, which would do the job. You can set-up any shape you like and can also apply tracking to it. Color correction is then made inside the shape only.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Wed, Feb 27 2019 1:58 PM In reply to

• ECS_1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 5 2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,170

Telegram!:

I just took a clip on V1 and duplicated it onto V2. On V1 only, I added a color correction. On V2 clip I dropped an Animatte FX, set control to KEY OUT, then drew a circle from Oval Tool. I saw only the color-corrected V1 inside the circle. Is that useful?

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone. The layer 3 idea didn't make any difference but the above one did. I had tried this one yesterday but it didn't work, this time I selected "swap sources" which did the trick.

Running Media Composer 6.5.4 Desktop: Inte; i7-6700k 4GHZ, 32GB RAM. Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Windows 7 Laptop: Sony Viao i5 240GHZ. 8GB RAM, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:49 AM In reply to

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2018
    • South Africa
    • Posts 28
    • Points 290

If you do not have the symphony mask option the “Spot Color Effect" under image in the effect’s pallet is your fastest and simplest option, Just Alt double click on the spot color effect and make your adjustments.

I previously used paint but the render time on a single core was way long and I had to duplicate the clip and the existing colour correction onto a new track, the way I did it previously with “paint” was very cumbersome and took for ever render.

Avid MC 2018; AMD Treadripper 1950x; Asus Zenith Extreem; msi gtx970; 32gig Gskill trident 3200mhz; EVO 960 250 sys drive; ibm 5014 raid0 with 3x3tb WD... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller