Latest post Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:06 PM by Erin Matheson. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 1 2019 5:11 PM

• Erin Matheson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 1 2019
    • Denton, Texas
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Can I Make Avid MediaFiles save to Dropbox?

I work for a startup tech company (small staff) and I produce print and video promo material and other media content as needed.

My employer uses Dropbox to save and share most files, and my PC storage is limited, especially for large video files.  I have a dedicated computer for graphic and video editing, and I save the project files to dropbox directly, so that's fine, but MC automatically creates and saves the folder Avid MediaFiles to my hard drive, and it fills up my drive quickly, slowing down my processing.  I'm constantly having to move files to create space and gain back processing capacity.

1. Can I make MC  save the file Avid MediaFiles to Dropbox instead? I know I can choose the drive in MC when I render something, but I only have one drive and dropbox isn't a choice.

2. I can move items in Avid MediaFiles for projects I'm not working on right now, to dropbox to save space, but will I then just need to move them back later, if I go back to that project?

3. Would a better solution be to obtain a second drive or other media storage device?  What would you recommend? My employer really wants me to put files in dropbox for safe keeping, so that our marketing materials are not solely saved on my device and that others could have access in an emergency.

PC, Dell Latitude 5590, Intel Core Processor, 16 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit OS Micron 1100 SATA 512 GB Media Composer 2018.12 ProTools 2018.7... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Mar 2 2019 1:41 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,575
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Can I Make Avid MediaFiles save to Dropbox?

You can see network drives by going into the console (Tools->Console) and issuing the AllDrives command. Bear in mind that this will slow down your editing process quite a lot.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Mar 2 2019 5:48 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,373
    • Points 40,745

Erin Matheson:

1. Can I make MC  save the file Avid MediaFiles to Dropbox instead? I know I can choose the drive in MC when I render something, but I only have one drive and dropbox isn't a choice.

2. I can move items in Avid MediaFiles for projects I'm not working on right now, to dropbox to save space, but will I then just need to move them back later, if I go back to that project?

3. Would a better solution be to obtain a second drive or other media storage device?  What would you recommend? My employer really wants me to put files in dropbox for safe keeping, so that our marketing materials are not solely saved on my device and that others could have access in an emergency.

1. Even if you manage to get you media files to dropbox, I can not imagine that you would be able to edit effectively with this setup.  Editing requires high speed storage.  A web based solution is not going to cut it unless you have some incredible internet connection that I am not aware of. Big Smile

2. That is a viable method.  I have clients who work in a similar manner.

3. This is what I would recommend.  Best practice is to NOT keep media on your system drive.  This slows things down.  Dedicated media storage is the norm.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Mar 4 2019 9:06 PM In reply to

• Erin Matheson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 1 2019
    • Denton, Texas
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you so much!

PC, Dell Latitude 5590, Intel Core Processor, 16 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit OS Micron 1100 SATA 512 GB Media Composer 2018.12 ProTools 2018.7... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller