Latest post Sat, Apr 13 2019 1:52 PM by mrhgdomenech. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 9 2019 2:11 AM

Fastest "Best Quality" Export Out of Avid

Which MC settings/options give the fastest export while also achieving the following;

1. uncompressed, lossless or as close to lossless as Media Composer is capable of doing
    2. uses the full capacity of the CPU and all the cores (or as close as MC is capable of)
    3. neither the CODEC nor the Container that comes out of Avid matter because i'll use a different software to change those as needed
    4. other software can convert the CODEC/Container that comes out of MC (e.g. Davinci Resolve, etcetera)
    I just need the fastest way out of Avid because the exported production will be viewed by several folks in several ways (e.g. broadcast TV commercials, youtube, website, dropbox, thumbdrives, etcetera) I know for certain that whatever the best answer is will not involve QuickTime in any way...because quicktime is incapable of fully utilizing the CPU.  I have 18 physical cores and any method involving Quicktime uses ONLY 1 of the 18 cores (QT uses other cores at 15% and one of the cores at near 100%). I really like MC but I desparately hate QT.

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2019 5:02 AM In reply to

Re: Fastest "Best Quality" Export Out of Avid

QT Same As Source does not use the Quicktime engine, just copies video and audio into a QT .mov container. If your entire sequence is in the same codec flavor and fully rendered, or if you mixdown your sequence to single codec, it’s just a matter of drive speeds.

Other than that, this may be useful: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 13 2019 1:39 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

...Other than that, this may be useful: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

I can't thank you enough...that link you shared is awesome

yeah, that link is awesome.  it took me 90 minutes total to export a dot MOV through quicktime.  That same sequence took a total of 8 minutes when I did it as follows (thanks to that link)

1) Un-rendered sequence directly exported as MXF OP1a DNxHUncompressed (6 minutes)

2) then take that file and export it to MP4/H.264 via Davinci Resolve 16 free version (2 minutes)

Resolve will give you many options with many adjustable paramenters, it's just exactly what I needed so I can send it to many  users via various formats...the final one though will be sent to the media buyer straight out of MC as MXF DNxHUncompressed

yeah, from 90 minutes down to 8 minutes total

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 13 2019 1:19 PM In reply to

Are you shooting and capuring as uncompressed? and editing uncompressed?

If not delivering uncompressed is a waste. No broadcaster wants uncompressed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Apr 13 2019 1:52 PM In reply to

I shoot *R3D and edit AMA linked. But I receive other formats as well.  The media buyer prefers DNxUncompressed. The media buyer converts to different things as needed. I also must convert to a variety of options....to send to an assortment of users.

So far the above OP1a route is the fastest, right?

• Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:27 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,148
    • Points 13,005

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller