Latest post Fri, Apr 12 2019 11:22 PM by jwrl. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 11 2019 5:59 AM

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Using an EDL to notch a video

Hi All,

I searched for this topic.. but was surprised that I couldn't find anyting on it.

I would think Avid could do this... I'm hoping.

I just want to be able to cut up a baked Quicktime file using an EDL (this is all coming from Final Cut 7).  I Have the EDL and the Baked Quicktime.  I can't figure out how to do this.  I know other apps can use the EDL to cut the video.. but I can't figure out how to do it in Avid.

We are finishing a documentary.. and Avid is the best tool for doing the finishing.  But I just need to get the Quicktime cut up.  Doing it manually for a 2 hour feature would be quite painful.

Thanks all,

Peter

Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7 16GB Ram_Win7 Pro Nvidia GTX580 ATA100 7200rpm drives (1 for system, 1 for video) 2 SATA 7200rpm drives in a internal RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2019 3:02 PM In reply to

Re: Using an EDL to notch a video

While this blog is about the entire process, the second half will describe how to notch in MC. The key will be to ensure all the SOURCES in the EDL reference the QuickTime movie file name as linked/imported. 

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=35

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2019 5:00 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Thanks much for that.  I will give it a shot.

Are you saying that rather than using the EDL from Final Cut.. I should run the QT through Resolve's scene detection and that EDL would work better (since it would reference one source.. rathar than the inidividual sources that the Final Cut EDL does)?

-Peter

Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7 16GB Ram_Win7 Pro Nvidia GTX580 ATA100 7200rpm drives (1 for system, 1 for video) 2 SATA 7200rpm drives in a internal RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2019 6:01 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

I think the quickest way is to

1. import the EDL to Avid (so media is offline on V1)

2. put the quicktime on a timeline track (V2) above the offline cuts

3. add 'reformat|pan & scan' effect to quicktime clip on V2

4. while in effect edit mode on the pan & scan, select the track that the offline is on (V1) and hit 'subdivide effect' - this will break the pan & scan effect at all the edit points

5. select all the clips with effects (the quicktime track) and delete 

Voila you should have match frame edits corresponding to the cuts on V1 (you can now delete v1)

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 8:16 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Thanks much.  Great suggestion.  I just tried it and the Pan & Scan did a great job of cutting up my video.

Only issue is that it seems to ignore any edits where there is a dissolve.  Unfortunetly there are alot of dissolves in this project.  I guess I just need to re-create those manually?

Would be awesome if Avid could use an AAF or EDL and notch the Quicktime like in Resolve (where it can recognize the transistions as well).

But this does save alot of time for sure.  Appreciate the tip!

-Peter

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:05 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,411
    • Points 41,175

Just an FYI.  I tried to use Resolve to make an EDL for this process and it seemed like the EDL generated by Resolve was not quite up to Avid standard.  I could not get it to work.  My workaround was to make an AAF in Resolve, bring that into Avid and put that layer with cuts above my single clip.  That worked.

EDIT:  I just read the great 24P workflow and that is basically what I did.  Wish I had had that doc the day I was struggling ...

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:15 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Hi Jef,

I actually did the exact same thing.  When I imported the EDL that came from Final Cut.. Avid gave all sorts of errors.. and I think it crashed.  When I exported an EDL from Resolve.. same thing.

I can't believe that EDL's are still so problamatic for Avid.  Getting an error message is fine.. but to crash the application... that just shouldn't happen.  Years ago I would get that behaivor.. but importing a basic text document into Avid should not crash it.  It just shouldn't.

The AAF from Resolve did work fine and that is what we are doing (and manually adding Dissolves back in since those don't come through).

UI improvements are nice.. but I just wish the basic core functionality was more bullet proof.  But we can dream right?

Thanks all.

-Peter

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:22 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,411
    • Points 41,175

Well, to be fair, the EDL standard is old and pretty well documented.  And I THINK when I looked at the EDL generated by Resolve it did not play by the rules.  At least that was what the vague memory of the rules were told me.

If that is the case, I have to say I don't want Avid spending time on making up for another companies failings.

I want a better FramFlex!!!

Just my opinion.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:31 PM In reply to

• prberg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,600

Agreed Jef.  I would have preferred to use a XML or the AAF to notch the video file if that was possible.

I just don't understand how importing a text file can crash Media Composer.  That just seems like poor programming.  Give me an error message.. but don't take down the application!  I get stuck in those Assertion Failed message loops and then have to force quit Avid.

I see Avid as being really solid (compared to other apps) and I just wish it wouldn't crash with some little thing like importing a text EDL file (even if the file isn't to correct specs).  Just give an error and then let me keep working.

Stability and core stuff working is big for me... although an imporoved FrameFlex system would be nice too.

-Peter

• Fri, Apr 12 2019 7:36 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

prberg:

I just don't understand how importing a text file can crash Media Composer.  That just seems like poor programming.  Give me an error message.. but don't take down the application!  I get stuck in those Assertion Failed message loops and then have to force quit Avid.

I see Avid as being really solid (compared to other apps) and I just wish it wouldn't crash with some little thing like importing a text EDL file (even if the file isn't to correct specs).  Just give an error and then let me keep working.

I suspect no one reports it. If they have a repeatable error then they are pretty good at fixing it.

Also BM should be told their EDLs are not compliant.

I suspect neither are very interested in EDLs much these days though!

must have worked at some version though because I had the following:

One issue with notched edls from Resolve are that they are all the same reel so avid tends to ‘optimise’ those on the way in.

So no add edits at all!

• Fri, Apr 12 2019 11:22 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

TrevorA:

One issue with notched edls from Resolve are that they are all the same reel so avid tends to ‘optimise’ those on the way in.

So no add edits at all!

A similar thing happens with Premiere.  All edits are assigned to auxiliary, with comments appended to decribe the clip that should actually be used.  Not a lot of use for any automated EDL import process.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller