Latest post Mon, May 13 2019 7:52 PM by Jason Sedmak. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 9 2019 4:10 PM

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Exception when transcoding RED 4K footage

HI,

I was on the forum last week and got good advice about workflow to transcode some 4K footage in a project that is HD and archive. I have been transcoding to ProRes with the other material. Unfortunately when a 4K clip's length is over about 6 minutes it stops and I got an error message Exception: AMAProducer Task::Execute: AMA Plug-In Unable to Provide Sample

So I reverted to exporting Prores.movs from Red CineX and then am now trying to transcode them into AVID. It takes absolutely ages and they are huge files, No error messages on importing these to AVID but this is transcoding twice isnt it?

Perhaps I should try to cut a short trailer AMA linking to the RED CINE X exports for a 5 minute trailer  - but I'm worried I wont be able to export at the end.

cheers,

Sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 13 2019 7:48 PM In reply to

Re: Exception when transcoding RED 4K footage

Sarita,

yes, you would be transcoding twice... why not just AMA link to those ProRes transcodes and work from that? If you left them their original raster size, you can change the timeline quality setting to half, and they should play easily (of course, depending on your system). On my system, I can work with the RED files natively without ANY transcoding (but it's a bit of a hot-rod and we have FAST storage).

Good luck,

J

Hackintosh OC'd 4.9 GHz i7-7700k, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, SSD, 8x Fibre to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.3. Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 13 2019 7:52 PM In reply to

Re: Exception when transcoding RED 4K footage

Also -- as far as the original problem trying to transcode in AVID -- there are ALOT of variables, not least of which is making sure your software is up to date and you're using the latest RED AMA plugin. However, I have a case open with AVID that involves problems transcoding RED on mac systems with nVidia GPUs.

FYI,

J

Hackintosh OC'd 4.9 GHz i7-7700k, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, SSD, 8x Fibre to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.3. Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller