Latest post Sun, Jun 7 2020 8:19 PM by Marianna. 95 replies.
Page 7 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 7 2020 3:31 PM In reply to

• Ron V
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 5 2015
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Re: macOS Catalina - Just Say NO!

Oh no!

It's June 7 2020, and I fell into the trap -- upgraded to Catalina without checking first whether my (perpetual) MC2018.12 version of Media Composer will run on it. Now MC doesn't open. Uuuugh!

I'm going through 6 months of posts on this thread. What's the current situation? Note that I am an educator who relies on AVID for teaching (especially during COVID) but not a full-time editor or tech-dude. I'm looking for user-friendly alternatives. I would be fine with any options such us:

A. Restore (how?) Mojave on my iMac. I have Time Machine backups until just before my Catalina upgrade.

B. Upgrade (how?) my already-licensed MC2018 so that it will run with Catalina 

C. Download any beta version of the upgrade that is reasonably likely to work

What would you all recommend?

Ron

Marianna:

Hi Julian,

yes we are still in public beta.  Catalina 10.5.x point releases added new notification and security so we had to address that and do additional tweaking to support it.  In progress now.

I am guessing but not stating..... in a month or so timeframe.

Marianna

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac14,3 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores:... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 7 2020 3:40 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,620

Hi Ron,

Avid 2020.4 and later is Catalina compatible. If your perpetual license is within it's service term, you can using the Avid Link application or by visiting http://avid.com/downloads then navigating to Media Composer and downloading 2020.5 from the top (or 2020.4 from down the list).

There are some considerations when running on Catalina:

- You're forced to use the new Titler+ tool as the old title tool has been removed due to Apple dropping support for 32 bit.

- Some older codecs may not AMA link or be able to be imported because they were 32 bit. Also, right now Avid doesn't support variable framerate codecs in 2020.5 for AMA linking, though that should be back in 2020.6 I believe.

• Sun, Jun 7 2020 4:04 PM In reply to

• Ron V
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Thanks forthat speedy response, @dklein!

Hmm.... I isupposer my perpetual license is within its term -- it's perpetual -- but it only applies to MC2018. I don't think this license would allow me to download Avid2020.5. 

@Marianna, my license wouldn't allow for this, would it?

About Titler+, I have yet to have a good experience with it. (Most recently, I was unable to find a way to do a 2-column text crawl in a closing credit sequence. Not impressive...)

I think I will be backwards-installing Mojave. That should be possible, right?

Ron

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac14,3 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores:... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 7 2020 4:33 PM In reply to

You will need to reformat (delete) your current Catalina system drive and install Mojave from scratch. It is possible just a bit labor intensive compared to the automation of OSX upgrade installer. 

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 7 2020 5:08 PM In reply to

• Ron V
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Thanks, Dom. I'm doing that now...

Ron

• Sun, Jun 7 2020 8:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,317
    • Points 232,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Ron

You have access to 2020.4 which is Catalina compatible...  you expired right before we launched 2020.5. So no - you can not use 2020.5 unless you renew.

Hope you are well...

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 7 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller