Latest post Wed, Dec 4 2019 7:24 AM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 2 2019 9:51 PM

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hot Rodding An Older MacBook Pro to Edit 4K Video Question

Hi Editors:

I've got this older, but non the less Avid Certified to run MC 8.5.0 Early Spring 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro. I like it very much, as the screen realestate is much easier on my eyes on those 15 Hour post sessions I keep on doing than trying to edit on a mickey mouse 13 inch MBP screen. It has a decent enough dual GPU solution in it - Intel Graphics HD 3000, and an AMD Radeon HD6750m power GPU with 1GB of GDDR5 dedicated video RAM on board the card. Via my machines Thunderbolt 1 interface, (Also Mini Display Port Interface) I can output to a DP port, or Thunderbolt 1/2 port equiped display upto 2.7K video resolution. Not bad for a lappy.

For the last two weeks I have been researching the possibility of turbo charging up my MBP version 8.3 in the graphics department, by using an external eGPU device, such as the Black Magic Radeon Pro 580 eGPU box or similar solution. There is an article on how to use an eGPU with an older MacBook Pro. Here's a link to that process -  https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/egpu-mac-3690094/    I will also require an Apple Thunderbolt 1/2 to USB C adaptor like this - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MQ26QIY/?coliid=I3EZZB8O2D51JF&colid=3ERCHFZOVWXFW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

*My question is Media Composer able to use the graphics output and general processing horsepower of an external GPU ?

Mark Job

Laptopeditor                                    

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Mon, Dec 2 2019 10:34 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 423
    • Points 4,980

Re: Hot Rodding An Older MacBook Pro to Edit 4K Video Question

Hello Mark,

I believe the Blackmagic EGPU will only work on Thunerbolt 3 connections. It won't be compatibe at all due to speeds etc.

Leo

Avid Media Composer 2019.7, Pro Tools 2019.6 MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 OSX Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 2 2019 10:43 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hi Leo:

Leo Baker:
    I believe the Blackmagic EGPU will only work on Thunerbolt 3 connections. It won't be compatibe at all due to speeds etc.
    .....Normally yes, but there's a very interesting work around for this if you follow the article link I listed in my initial post. This article shows how to configure an eGPU for any Thunderbolt connection. For my situation, I am a boutique operation and to eat an upgrade to the latest MacBook Pro 16 inch max configuration for video editing would be over three times the price. I was considering (giving the eGPU Box solution) a try, but was wondering how MC would perform under such a configuration. 

Mark

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:08 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,707
    • Points 47,530
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I'm not a Mac expert, but on the PC side of the world, MC will only use the primary GPU (i.e. the one on the video card), unlike Resolve which can use other GPUs. I suspect the same for the Mac. This is a better question for the MC - Mac subforum.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Dec 4 2019 7:24 AM In reply to

My 2011 MBP died of the infamous Gfx card failure that I have been told pretty much all of them will eventually succumb to. I would be very, very cautious investing in a 9 year old laptop.

i would also argue that MC is unlikely able to use any secondary Gfx cards anyway.

i hated having to give up the 17" screen, but so far my 15" MBP has been great. Stay away from the 16" one for now as it will only run Catalina, which won't run MC.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller