Latest post Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:33 AM by nigelad. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 13 2019 4:17 PM

• dubitoff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 25
    • Points 335

New Mac Pro purchase...

Does anyone else have an end of year decision to make? I'd really like to purchase a Mac Pro with 2019 money but have serious concerns about when I can actually use the hardware. Also, any suggestions as to which configuration are very welcome.

• Fri, Dec 13 2019 5:02 PM In reply to

Re: New Mac Pro purchase...

Buy an HP and be done with the headaches. 

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 13 2019 5:23 PM In reply to

Said David Colantuoni on The Avid Editors of Facebook:

Catalina support is scheduled for Jan. Working to get a final unit from Apple for final testing.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 13 2019 9:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,726
    • Points 44,715

With the current state of Catalina, I would think long and hard about whether you will be able to run all the other tools you are used to being able to run.  Do you need specific drivers?  All kinds of questions.

Very risky in my opinion.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Dec 14 2019 10:18 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 583
    • Points 7,110

Well, I can't wait any longer. My Westmere system is on its last legs. The new Mac Pro is scheduled to show up in 1 week. I'm starting cutting in Jan with MC software in Catalina wether its ready or not. I'm not sitting on a hot piece of gear waiting for all the companies to get their act toegther when I've been waiting for over 6 years to get a new system. I guess I'm an unofficial beta tester.

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:16 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Belgium
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,760

I've 4 Westmere systems that I want to replace in the next few months.

Support for Catalina in january is perfect. But I wonder wich CPU to order.

Can Media composer utilize 24, 16, 12 or 8 cores? And what about the graphics card?

• Tue, Dec 17 2019 1:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pol

Do not know yet as our 2 on order are not at Avid yet....  Give us a few more weeks.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 2 2020 10:02 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 9 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Hi Mariana-

I want to revive this thread. I need to putchase a new system... My 2010 silver tower finally stopped working reliably with MC. But I'd love to get some sort of official word on how much power I actually need:

--How many cores?

--How much memory?

--Do the graphics cards matter at all?

For my particular use, I don't do a lot of rendering, so that's not really an issue. What I care about most is MC feeling as fast and responsive as possible. Eliminating as much lag time after initiating operations, especially on large projects (I cut features, and MC has always slowed down the later in the process we got.)

I also cut with waveforms, so speed around calculating and drawing those is valuable.

So what kind of increases in performance will I actually be able to feel as I increase the cores?

And how much memory will MC actually be able to take advantage of for cacheing? And as I increase memory, will I feel the performance increases less and less? Are there, in other words, diminishing returns?

A buying guide explaining the ramifications of all these hardware choices would be AWESOME!

2x2.93 6-Core Intel Xeon! [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 3 2020 1:32 AM In reply to

• Tue, Mar 3 2020 2:49 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Cool thats some good info. But I still wonder:

How does the difference between "Basic UHD" and "Best Performance" manifest itself? It it simply more realtime effects streams? Or do other operations slow down on the "Basic" system when it's heading with UHD? Like is there more lag time when trimming on the "Basic" system. 

The memory section is good to help narrow down options. Does anyone know if you can actually feel the difference between 96GB and 192GB systems?

Regarding the video cards, how does the difference between good, better, and best manifest itself?

• Tue, Mar 3 2020 3:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Matt

The current Mac Pro 2019 guide has 

• Basic low cost HD editing for the 8 core
    • Basic UHD/4k 23.98 editing for the 16 core
    • Best performance for UHD/4k editing for the 28 core

These are for real time playback and capture testing.  CPU count and speed also effect render times and responsiveness.

MC does not use excessive amounts of memory.  The qualification list has this:

Memory: (More is better – see Media Cache settings in MC)

Ø  16 GB RAM minimum required to support Interplay or Media Central, background transcoding, Dynamic Media Folders, full-frame stereoscopic 3D, FrameFlex 4K workflows, Rawformat AMA plug-ins, Long GOP media editing, and other high-performance HD   workflows

Ø  32+ GB RAM minimum required to support Media Composer |Cloud, UHD/4k/8k Media Editing and other high performance UHD workflows.

Ø  8 GB RAM minimum for basic standalone MC with minimal effects (no interplay or Media Central) – SD/HD projects – not recommended 

48 GB is the minimum amount for the new Mac Pro. That would be fine for todays MC.  Buy 96GB for MC future proof or if you are running other apps along with MC.

Graphics – better cards have more onboard memory. That yields more effects off loaded to the GPUs so the CPUs can be doing other things.

Hope that helps.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 3 2020 3:28 PM In reply to

Or go witrh the new 128 core AMD motherboards (PC) and leave that already superceded Mac behind :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:37 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Marianna:

CPU count and speed also effect render times and responsiveness.

In terms of responsiveness, I'm most interested in responsiveness when initiating the play command, when previewing trims, and when loading a new sequence into a monitor. On the system I'm on now, for instance, when I load a new sequence and attempt to scrub around to locate a specific point in the sequence, there is noticeable lag for a bit. Then once the system has had a chance to "think" about the new sequence, and draw the audio waveforms, responsiveness returns to normal. So would the higher CPU count address this specific type of responsiveness? Or when you were talking about responsiveness were you meaning more about layered realtime effects, tons of video tracks, etc?

Thanks!

• Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:38 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Pat Horridge:

Or go witrh the new 128 core AMD motherboards (PC) and leave that already superceded Mac behind :-)

Yes, I did actually consider getting a PC. However, I hate windows and am completely unfamiliar with it, and I don't want to have to suffer through that experience, even a little bit.

• Mon, Jun 8 2020 1:54 PM In reply to

• Gkitto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Matt

How did you get on with your Mac Pro upgrade? I'm currently looking to do the same and any insight / experience  would be greatly appreciated.

G

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller