Latest post Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:33 AM by nigelad. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 2:30 PM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,735

Re: New Mac Pro purchase...

I just bought one, 12core.  I'm using the Decklink Studio 4K.

No problems. I think I will order 2 more. Same configuration.

• Mon, Jun 8 2020 8:55 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 583
    • Points 7,110

Mac Pro 2019/2020 24 core. Working great with beta since January. Have had only 1 crash (back in January). One. Single. Crash.

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Mon, Jun 8 2020 10:44 PM In reply to

• Gkitto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

That's great to know - which GPU configuration did you go for?

• Fri, Jul 31 2020 3:35 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 547
    • Points 6,365
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Sorry to hijack thread, but I'm looking at the Mac Pros for 2 suites working with ARRI 2K footage and using AJA T-Tap for client and Flanders Scientific monitors.

These rooms are used less for ediiting and more for ingest, transcode for offline, conforms and CC, working with ISIS/NEXIS and local T3 Pegasus RAIDs for online. If I have to choose between these upgrades, which would help most?

8 or 12 Core

Radeon Pro W5500X to W5700X

48 or 96GB RAM [could be done down the line?]

Thanks for any advice.

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2020 3:17 AM In reply to

• Buzzkill
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 47
    • Points 695

nigelad, for ingest an 8 core, w5500x, 48gb should do fine. The 12 core, w5700x, 96gb would be a strong editor.

You can upgrade to 96gb later as I did with OWC and save some money while still getting quality ram.

MC 2020.4|10.15.4|MacPro 16c|96gb|Pro Vega 2|Kona 5|Pegasus32 R8,R4i|Prism ADA8XR|XDR,LG 24MD4KL,Sony PVM2541 [view my complete system specs]

I don't feel tardy...

• Sat, Aug 1 2020 7:20 AM In reply to

Can you comment on the difference? I mean, ingest might involve transcoding various RAW formats into editing-friendly codecs, whereas editing may consist of just working with those editing-friendly codecs. In that sense, the other way around might make more sense, no?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2020 9:59 AM In reply to

What I am about to admit is heresy, I'm sure. I went mad and bought a 2020 MacBook Air. 16GB RAM but only a slowish processor. I'm happily running MC 2020.6 ... Avid media and linked AVCHD media and it feels nicely responsive (files all on an external Thunderbolt 2 drive). Several streams of video without dropped frames. Only doing 1920 HD but this is a nice ultra-light laptop for travelling.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sat, Aug 1 2020 10:08 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Can you comment on the difference? I mean, ingest might involve transcoding various RAW formats into editing-friendly codecs, whereas editing may consist of just working with those editing-friendly codecs. In that sense, the other way around might make more sense, no?

I'd guess that a slightly slower ingest machine doesn't drive an editor MAD.

From my expierence unless you are running multiple apps bucket loads of cores gains little, I still prefer higher CPU speeds over core count.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Aug 1 2020 2:16 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    t a slightly slower ingest machine doesn't drive an editor MAD.
    This implies that the slower machine is going to be noticably slower for editing purposes. I'm not so sure, between these two configs.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2020 2:45 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Pat Horridge:
    t a slightly slower ingest machine doesn't drive an editor MAD.
    This implies that the slower machine is going to be noticably slower for editing purposes. I'm not so sure, between these two configs.

Thats true. It will depend on what sort of editing is beng done.

Low res proxies being edited long form with few effects and above even a modest machine spec there is little appreciable difference.

Offline editing that links to a whole range of sources inc 4K and long GOP will work better with more power available. Lots of realtime effects will also make mored demands on hardware.

So it really depends on what you need to do.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:33 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 547
    • Points 6,365
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I'll go with 48GB RAM since it can be upgraded later with another 6 x 8GB, so just stuck between cores v graphics card upgrade now.

Ingest is usually link to 2k/3.2K ProRes 4444 in a 1080/25p project and transcode to ProRes Proxy. At the other end of the edit we online - relink to camera originals, tweak edit and CC in Symphony [possibly Resolve in future], then ouptut ProRes HQ files for DCP. 

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller