Latest post Thu, Jan 23 2020 6:49 PM by hbrock. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 17 2020 6:06 PM

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,629
    • Points 43,735

Simple navigation question

MC 2018.12.9

I may be having a senior moment here.

I have made a string out of lots of clips.  When I put my string out in the Source window to edit from, I would like to be able to type in a source TC (generally on V1 of the stringent) and have Avid go to that place.  This does not work.  To be fair, there MIGHT be clips with the same source TC in the stringout.

I have tried making sure the TC windows above the Source window are both on Source V1.  This does not help.  The only TC I can enter and navigate to is the TC of the string out sequence.

For some reason I seem to remember this working the way I want in previous versions.  But I would not swear to this.

Can anyone confirm or deny my memory?

Thanks,

Jef 

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 12:24 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 166
    • Points 2,165

Re: Simple navigation question

Hey Jef,

I can confirm your memory regarding older versions (in general, not for 2018.12.9 in particular) as well as I can confirm that MC is still doing it in 2019.11.

Two quick thoughts:

- If you want it to work for a track related TC then the cursor must be on a clip when you type in the TC. I does not work if the cursor is on an empty part or a filler. But you probably don't even have empty parts in that kind of a sequence.

- And, apologies in advance for asking, with the sequence in the player you did type in the TC on the player side, right?

Double TC shouldn't be a problem. If ahead it jumps to the next one, if in between it jumps to the closest (previous or next), if behind it jumps to the first one in the sequence. At least in 2019.11 it does that.

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 3:44 AM In reply to

jef:
    I have tried making sure the TC windows above the Source window are both on Source V1.  This does not help.  The only TC I can enter and navigate to is the TC of the string out sequence.

On Windows 7 with MC 2018.12.9 using a 2017 project I can put a string out sequence in the source monitor.  MC will jump to my Source V1 timecode when I enter it.  I toggle Source Record  with a KB shortcut to Source.  My Source monitor has 2 spaces for TC.  The top TC is set to Timecode Source V1 The lower TC set to Master TC 1 Sequence.    The sequence has several graphics on it all with start TC 0:00:00:00.  As expected.

The initial sequence I tried had a start TC of 00:00:00:00 and it failed on the that first (only) attempt. I swapped to a sequence with an 01:00:00:00 start time and made sure the toggle Source Record was on active on the Source.  This worked immediately so not sure which was the required step.

Hopefully this is not a Mac specific issue. Wink

Alayne

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 3:08 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,629
    • Points 43,735

Alayne and Cutyes,

Thanks for the responses.  Now I have to figure out what is wrong!!

EDIT:  See below.

I will say, the stringout that I am working with is fairly complicated - not just a single V layer and a couple of A layers.  It is a two camera sync map where V2 TC does not match V1 (yea, I know .....)  and there are breaks for both cameras.  Cam A used time of day so I auto sequenced it.  Therefore the sequence TC matches the Source.  I then did the same for Cam B and manually placed it in sync with Cam A but on V2.  I made Burn ins and gave those to the director.

I am on a newly made user for this version of MC.

I am wondering if somehow the method I used to make the sequence, or the contents of the sequence is causing the issue.  I guess I will have to go back to basics and work my way up to see where it breaks.

But it is good to know that it is working as I remembered for some users. Again, thanks!

Jef

EDIT: I realize that what I wrote made little sense.  That first described stringout worked as expected.  Because the sequence TC was the same as source TC.  Where things failed was when I made a selects  sequence where the sequence TC no longer matched.  Sorry for the confusion.  It has been a confusing edit as well .......

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jan 23 2020 6:49 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,536
    • Points 64,265
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

In my experience, if you have 2 TCs displayed at the top of the Composer window one will have priority.  Much like a USB cable, the correct orientation is sometimes hard to determine (usually works on the 3rd try!) especially if you have the TC windows side by side.  Do you get better results with only 1 TC window at the top of the Composer window?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller