Latest post Wed, Mar 4 2020 9:05 AM by apmende. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:58 PM

• apmende
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 37
    • Points 585

Avid Link and Avid Background Services - Uninstall

I am new to the subscription based Avid Media Composer Ultimate plan.  I had a couple of questions about Avid Link and Avid Background Services and was hoping the gurus could help.

Avid Link and Avid Background Services are automatically installed when I download Avid Media Composer (V. 2018 -12.3 - Windows 10).  

1. Are they needed to run Media Composer and does uninstalling them affect MC?

2. Does Avid Link (not signed in but running) use a lot of resources along with Avid Background Services (If you have it turned off in Avid)?

• Fri, Jan 31 2020 6:01 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,118
    • Points 23,560
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid Link and Avid Background Services - Uninstall

Hi apmende,

Why version Avid Media Composer V. 2018 -12.3? There are a lot of bug fixed  and improvement in the latest MC released 2018.12.10, it include improvement on the AvidLink.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 1 2020 2:10 AM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW, Australia
    • Posts 60
    • Points 630

Unfourtanlty Link and Background Services are requried for Media Composer. I haven't found a way for it to work with them uninstalled.

Which is a problem because Link is a huge battery and memory hog.

^ This was after logging into my laptop. I hadn't even opened Media Composer so I'm not sure how it could be using significant energy.

^ This was after 20 mins after opening Media Composer.

^ This was 15 mins after opening Media Composer.

I'm not signed in to Link, even though my picture and name are shown??

Media Composer 2019.6 with PF and SS | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 1 2020 3:43 AM In reply to

apmende:
    1. Are they needed to run Media Composer and does uninstalling them affect MC?
    On a Perpetual licence I have uninstalled Avid Link and Avid Cloud Services on versions of MC2018.12x up to 2018.12.10  without issues.  Subscription may well be different.

I just used the Control panel to uninstall both the Link and Cloud program. Then opened MC and a project and carried on editing. For me on a perpetual licence I was reasonably confident that if there had been an issue I could have uninstalled MC and the reinstall it getting both Link and Cloud services back in the process. 

FWIW I do not use background services and have long believed that it and Cloud services should have been introduced as OPTIONS at install time.  

Alayne

• Wed, Mar 4 2020 9:05 AM In reply to

• apmende
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 37
    • Points 585

Thank you for all of this info.  I played around with it a bit and found that I could disable it from startup (Windows 10)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller