Latest post Fri, Feb 7 2020 12:11 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 5 2020 1:46 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,996
    • Points 228,360
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] HDR VIDEO | Cameras To Post Prod. w/ Key Code Media | 2/6/2020

HDR VIDEO | From Cameras To Post Production event with Key Code Media

Where:  Los Angeles Event | Sony DMPC – 2706 Media Center Drive, Suite 130. Los Angeles, CA 90065

When:  Thurs, February 6, 2020

Time:   Doors Open 6:30 PM

Join fellow members of the production community in an evening of equipment and discussion around the latest workflows in HDR video production.

The wild west of creating HDR video is over. We’ve learned the basics of HDR (High Dynamic Range) video finishing before, but how are people doing it today? Major streaming services like Netflix, YouTube, Apple, and Vimeo are all pushing productions to think about HDR throughout their production process. The goal is to show a range of light much closer to that available to the human eye. The goal gets a little messier when you take into account the four different standards HDR TVs are using- Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG, the expensive equipment required, and the client file deliverables.

Good HDR starts with capture. Great HDR thinks HDR throughout the process.

Event includes:   HDR PROFESSIONALS PANEL, SONY HDR WORKFLOW EXPERIENCE ROOM, TABLETOP SPONSOR DEMOS

https://www.keycodemedia.com/2020/01/16/hdr-video-from-cameras-to-post-production/

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 6 2020 1:31 AM In reply to

Re: HDR VIDEO | Cameras To Post Prod. w/ Key Code Media | 2/6/2020

Please add a Dolby Vision workflow (tone mapping, tone mapping output, metadata, etc.)!!!

..... and upgrade the Symphpny feature set (LOL)

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 6 2020 12:25 PM In reply to

This is great and all but we are still waiting on sufficient documentation on how to use any of this stuff within Avid.  Avid should be producing detailed manuals and workflow documents that describe how to set up projects for HDR, codecs to use, compatible I/O hardware, handoffs to other finishing products like Baselight etc.  There's no point having it if you just have to guess how to use it.

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 6 2020 3:08 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    This is great and all but we are still waiting on sufficient documentation on how to use any of this stuff within Avid.  Avid should be producing detailed manuals and workflow documents that describe how to set up projects for HDR, codecs to use, compatible I/O hardware, handoffs to other finishing products like Baselight etc.  There's no point having it if you just have to guess how to use it.

MC is missing some fundamental features in order to support a Dolby Vision, HLG or HDR10 workflow. So publishing anything regarding an HDR workflow would probably just consist of "how properly export project to finish in X for HDR".

HDR is really a transport and display technology. The basic requirement for HDR compatible codec is 10 bit or higher. This means DNxHD and DNxHR support HDR workflows.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 7 2020 12:29 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,996
    • Points 228,360
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

ripvanmarlowe:

Andi

Andi....

I hear you..... this is a more recent recent request that is gaining momentum.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/High_Res_WorkflowsGuide.pdf

Doesn’t answer all questions but it was recently updated.

is asking about workflow documentation to demonstrate how a project moves from editorial to conform to color etc. So with that in mind:

Here's why this is really hard for us to do:

1.  it's a very time intensive process to write workflow documents that cover the various workflow permutations that come up, and to make those documents bullet-proof enough to publish on a customer-facing website. It's not quite a full time job...but it might come close... and we would need to appoint the right resource to do this.And, documentation along these lines can never cover every permutation and every "snowflake" variant of every workflow. 

2.  And, to have interop workflow docs that cover both Baselight and Resolve interop would be the logical thing to do, but just adds to the number of permutations we would need to cover. 

This is why we SHOULD and will at some point do this:

3. Customers still think Media Composer is an offline-editing tool. Workflow education for finishing workflows is how we tell the customer base that Media Composer does so much more now. Give us a little time..... I think you would see something mid year. Marianna  
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Feb 7 2020 12:11 PM In reply to

Thanks Marianna, I'm keen to see it. The main reason is a few of the places I work at have started delivering to Netflix/Amazon and all of them have had to switch to Flame to do the onlines.  Seems a shame to have to cede that finishing process over to another company.  I feel Avid should really be upping their game in the higher end. Offline is solid as always, but we need better tools for online.  Really want to see Avid succeed at that.

Thanks for the response, will check out that doc in the meantime.

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller