Latest post Fri, Feb 7 2020 4:47 AM by Alayne Holmes. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 6 2020 6:28 PM

Re-Link Nightmare, so confused.

Hi,
    I've been using Avid for a couple of months now, so that's my skill level.

Here's what happened:
    1. Started a project and linked all my footage in.
    2. Transcoded those linked files and created the "new" files (DNxHD LB).
    3. Edited.
    4. Bought a new portable drive and moved all the original footage onto it.
    4.5. Continued editing with the transcoded footage.
    5. Selected all the original media and clicked 're-link' (as per instructions on forums for relinking footage after moving footage to a new drive.) I hoped this would relink the original footage from old drive to new so I could then relink the transcoded media back to the originals for export and color hand-off via aaf

6. I must have missed that the original media linked up to the Transcoded DNxHD LB proxies and now everything in the project is the proxies.
    7. So now Avid won't relink anything back to the original media because you can't manually point to a folder and I think there are some bugs because I then tried to link in the original media (bring it in to a bin) and for some reason it bought in the proxies!

8. Late last night I managed a workaround by deleting the 'Avid MediaFiles' bin, starting a new project, linking in all the original media, then bringing in the sequence from the old project. Right clicked on the sequence and re-linked all the offline footage and it somehow found the original media (bar a couple of AVCHD files). So now I can get the hell out of AVID with an aaf. Managed to salvage something.

It was hard to articulate exactly what happened so apologies, please ask questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Working with MXF files from Sony FS7

Project, footage, and Avid MediaFiles all on same drive

AVID 2019.11.0
    Macbook Pro Mojave 10.14.6

• Thu, Feb 6 2020 11:36 PM In reply to

Re: Re-Link Nightmare, so confused.

The usual trick to do this is at your 5. open a new bin.
    From this first bin that has the offline Link to the original media now on the new portable drive. 
    Open the bin that had all of your media that you originally linked to from ypur internal drive.  It should now all be online. 
    You have effectively tricked MC into discovering the new location of your original Linked files  (the new portable drive)

Assuming your media is all on line you could delete the new bin and newly linked clips though I would probably wait till I had exported my working AAF to do this.  

Take the Avid MediaFiles folder offline by renaming it to xAvid MediaFiles.
    Relink  your  proxies sequence.

You can bring your Avid Media Files Folder back online by simply renaming your xAvid MediaFiles folder back to Avid MediaFiles

Saves making new Project etc.

Alayne

• Fri, Feb 7 2020 3:03 AM In reply to

Thank you Alayne. I think I have a grip on it now. I'm not proficient enough at AVID to say how, but I'm almost certain I was experiencing bugs and things that should have worked but didn't. The only problem (bug) I'm now left with is Match Frame is no longer working even though everything appears to be back to normal.

• Fri, Feb 7 2020 4:47 AM In reply to

Hi Luke, 
    I only have 2019.12 on Windows 10 here and both Match Frame and Find bin (mapped to my keyboard) are working perfectly here.  So you may be better to post your last problem in the Media Composer  Mac Forum as it maybe Mac specific. 

Also I noticed your specs show you using 2019.10. but found in the readme for MC 2019.11 that this bug "MCDEV-12055. Match Frame selected clips from the wrong track."  has been fixed.  Not the issue you described but you may be lucky and find the same fix helps your situation.

Alayne

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller