Latest post Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:47 PM by jef. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:20 AM

Any suggestions for duplicating a sequence and loading the duplicate into timeline immediately?

Hey all,

I'm totally fed up with duplicating a sequence in the bin, and forgetting to load the duplicate into the record monitor. Time and again this has happened, and I have to backtrack and rename sequences, switch order, etc.

I notice I can right click on the record monitor and select duplicate, which will then prompt a pop up to select a bin. Then the duplicate is immediately loaded into the record monitor. Perfect! But there are a lot of steps for this.

Is there a way to map this to a button? Or even better, why can't Avid program this option in so that we don't have to go through so many steps? Maybe there could be an alternate duplicate function that loads the duplicate into the monitor, instead of keeping the original? Would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

• Wed, Feb 19 2020 10:36 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 661
    • Points 8,260

Re: Any suggestions for duplicating a sequence and loading the duplicate into timeline immediately?

Is it really that many steps?

You could always Cmd-drag your sequence from the bin to a new bin, which will duplicate the sequence (and slightly rename it).

Then just double-click to load into record monitor. That's two steps.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2020 10:49 AM In reply to

Re: Any suggestions for duplicating a sequence and loading the duplicate into timeline immediately?

At the moment, I highlight the sequence, press command-d, and then double click on the duplicate sequence. The number of steps isn't actually the issue for me. It's that the duplicate isn't automatically loaded. And to do that, I have to right click, click the menu option, then choose a bin. Just wondered why this isn't possible as a shortcut. I would have thought this was a very commonly used action.

• Wed, Feb 19 2020 10:52 AM In reply to

To add. I can't even map this particular menu option anywhere. Because the record monitor menu is inaccessible from the command palette.

• Wed, Feb 19 2020 11:11 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 661
    • Points 8,260

I understand what you're saying, and I do get students who fall into this very same trap when they duplicate as sequence and then continue working on the wrong one.

The problem if you made it a single shortcut key (or combination of keys) would be the danger that you could accidently do it and not realise. At least this way you have to deliberately duplicate the sequence and load it. Certainly I could imagine less experienced users doing this and not realising they're working on a different sequence than a moment ago!

Maybe a confirmation from Avid would help (if this function was available), but this too would mean you'd have to clear this message (an extra step!).

Also, doesn't the undo/redo list clear itself when you load a new sequence? An extra danger if you were to do this accidently!

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2020 11:50 AM In reply to

Good point about the undo function. For that reason I'm suddenly reluctant to pursue this!

I've been editing for over 15 years and I still make this mistake! But perhaps I need to just learn to pay more attention!

• Wed, Feb 19 2020 6:18 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 53
    • Points 520

I do this all the time too.  But, I think I agree with other commenters that there doesn't seeem to be a good solution and it's really "operator error" when we do this.

But just wanted you to know I 've been working on Avid as long as you and make the same error.  You're not alone!

Avid MC 2018.9.0 Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac Pro (2017) 2.3Ghz Intel Xeon W 128 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:34 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 71
    • Points 765

Try out Keyboard Maestro.

You could make a hotkey do the following automatically in a second:

Find the sequence in your bin

Duplicate it

Rename the duplicate (you could increment it, or stamp it with time) 

Open the duplicate 

2018.12.7 // OS10.14.5 // iMac 2019 3.6 i9 // 72GB Ram // Vega 48 // [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:47 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,625
    • Points 43,675

I also make this mistake quite often. Recently I have been trying to train myself to right click in the Record window and choose Duplicate there.  It asks where you want this duplicate to go (that should be a project setting IMHO, but whatever), you choose the appropriate bin and BANG - now you have duplicate with a suffix (Copy 1 or something) in your Record window / timeline ready to go.

There are more steps, but I find it forces me to consider some things (name of sequence) and makes sure what is loaded.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller