Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2020 8:59 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 6:04 PM

Is there a better way to add a control point in a curves adjustment?

Is there a better way to add a control point in a curves adjustment than clicking in the box? Every time you add a point it is so inaccurate that it moves and knocks the correction out which then needs readjusting.  I just want to add a point without it moving! 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 23 2020 2:03 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,744
    • Points 47,975
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Is there a better way to add a control point in a curves adjustment?

To the  best of my knowledge, the answer is no. There are no modifiers (e.g. shift-click, alt-click, etc.) that changes the behavior. The point is placed at the tip of the arrow, but the selection range is a couple of pixels wider around the point. That's why the control point moves; it's placed at the arrow tip even when the tip is not directly on the line.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Apr 23 2020 3:21 PM In reply to

Yeah, thought as much. Honestly Symphony is a joke.  I really don't think it's ok to just leave it with no improvements for so long. The shape-based colour correction that was so hyped is one of the worst implementations of a feature I can imagine.  The whole system needs ripping out and redesigning from the ground up. Same with the stabiliser.  I don't think the argument that Avid is just for editing stands up at all. Users need to be able to do more and more and the fact that I can't easily pull a decent secondary within Avid is just very very poor. Anyway, rant over. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 25 2020 4:52 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 695
    • Points 8,740

The only way I've found of doing this is when you use the Avid/Euphonix Artist Color panel.

The way you do this with the panel is by using the one of the three rings to move a new point up or down a curve. Once you get to the spot you want to add a control point, you press the left R key next to the ring, which inserts the point.

Since the Artist Color is EOL, you'll find you can occasionally get these fairly cheaply on Ebay. The irony with this panel is that it works beautifully in Resolve or Baselight Editions, but is quite 'laggy' in Symphony. It's something Avid never really fixed.

My advice would be to forget Symphony and invest in the Baselight Editions plugin, which is the only way of getting professional colour grading inside MC.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 25 2020 5:05 PM In reply to

Thanks Bruno. Yeah, I'll be using Baselight in the future, it just saddens me that Avid has neglected this area of it's product when it is something that should be tightly integrated and powerful.  Onlining in Avid is painful sometimes.

Andi

• Sat, Apr 25 2020 7:35 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,450

I was thinking about getting the symphony option but it seems it may not be worth it. Yes it seriously is time for Avid to improve its CC. 

• Sat, Apr 25 2020 8:59 PM In reply to

Dew seriously don't bother, it is rubbish for anything other than basic corrections and even then it's not so great. The only benefit it has that I can see is the source side corrections which allow you to use tape name or clip name etc to apply corrections to multiple clips at once. That's it. Secondaries are rubbish, shape based correction is a joke, scopes and interface are clunky and inaccurate, the list goes on.  It shouldn't even be an optional extra, it's so bad it should just be thrown in with regular MC.  I'll definitely be getting a Baselight Editions license once I'm done with this series.  Honestly, even if they just had one programmer whose only job was to work on the CC component, we would have seen more improvements.  I don't get why it's so neglected.

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller