Latest post Thu, Oct 22 2020 12:07 PM by luca.mg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 17 2020 6:40 PM

Avid MediaFiles Naming

Hello,

I have some WAV files that I linked to Avid MC 2020 from the audio engineer called BWV_Take1, BWV_Take2.wav and so on and so on. When I consolidate the clips to MXF PCM, the names become "A01.5F8B386A_D054FDCC.MXF" -- obviously if I need to give these to a client, it would be really hard to know that this name is for Take 1. Is there any way I can manually change the metadata of the linked WAV original file, or add some metadata in Avid and then consolidate it and hopefully the name can be a different name like A01.TAKE1_D054" or something like that?

I realize Avid creates MediaFile names on its own to avoid duplicates, but I wonder if there's any way this can be resolved.

Thank you,

Asaf

• Mon, Oct 19 2020 4:01 PM In reply to

Re: Avid MediaFiles Naming

After consolidating open avid console ctrl+6, type renamemediafiles+enter, see results in mxf folder...

12 PCs HP Z6, 3 laptops Dell, HP Zbook G6, AVID MC 2018.12.x licensed, MC 2020.x trial [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Oct 19 2020 6:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,746
    • Points 44,940

AsafBlasberg:

Hello,

I have some WAV files that I linked to Avid MC 2020 from the audio engineer called BWV_Take1, BWV_Take2.wav and so on and so on. When I consolidate the clips to MXF PCM, the names become "A01.5F8B386A_D054FDCC.MXF" -- obviously if I need to give these to a client, it would be really hard to know that this name is for Take 1. Is there any way I can manually change the metadata of the linked WAV original file, or add some metadata in Avid and then consolidate it and hopefully the name can be a different name like A01.TAKE1_D054" or something like that?

I realize Avid creates MediaFile names on its own to avoid duplicates, but I wonder if there's any way this can be resolved.

Thank you,

Asaf

Are you handing this material to another Avid?  (Since you are consolidating it seems as if you are).  Why not give them the bin with these clips as well?  It should be keeping the original file names.

Or maybe I am missing something .....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Oct 19 2020 6:57 PM In reply to

I've found that sometimes when I drag the MDB database file to the bin, it uses Avid's file naming instead of the file found in the bin.

So in the bin:

TAKE1.WAV

In Avid MediaFiles folder:

A01.5FG8(etc).MXF (example)

then if i take the MDB file and drag it back, sometimes it will use Avid's filename, not the one in the bin. Strange. I will do more investigating. I'm consolidating not to send to another Avid, but to do a backup to a portable HD.

Thanks

• Mon, Oct 19 2020 7:23 PM In reply to

More importantly,

is there a way to send the client a "bin" or some kind of mapping that shows what the AvidMediaFiles name points to like a self-generated Excel file?

Example

in the BIN:

TAKE1.WAV  -> A1.0409.MXF (Avid MediaFiles name)

ane so on and so on; is there a way to export a bin from avid where it tells me the associated avid mediafile name?

Thanks!

• Thu, Oct 22 2020 12:07 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

Why not exporting the clip from the bin to the backup drive? It will retain its human readable name. Other than that, I'm not in front of a system right now to double check, but if there's a bin column for the mediafile name You can export an ALE file with clip name, Avid mediafile name, and whatever You like, and open it with a spreadsheet.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller