Latest post Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:33 PM by fiendish. 173 replies.
Page 11 of 12 (174 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:26 PM In reply to

Re: RIP Xpress Pro

The pages for the Europe store should all be fixed now. the Upgrade price should be is 500 Euros

NL: EUR 2797 / 536, supposedly ex VAT

Belgium: EUR 2844 / 545, supposedly ex VAT

France: EUR 2811 / 539, supposedly ex VAT

Germany: EUR 2350 / 450, supposedly ex VAT

Two resellers in the Netherlands quote EUR 450 ex VAT for the upgrade, so the German store seems correct.

Even if these prices are fixed, they are not 'fixed', if you catch my drift. ;-)

I've been in contact with Marianna about these issues earlier, and I believe it is still being worked on, but it was reported that this may be delayed due to European Easter Holidays from this Friday to Monday. For now, I would recommend going to your local VAR, rather than ordering in the Avid online store. Probably this will be sorted out in the next week, though.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 2:21 AM In reply to

Just a note regarding hardware (based on the earlier discussion regarding what systems MC will run on):

According to the MC 2.8.1 readme:

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

System memory
    - 2 GB minimum
    - 3 GB recommended for HD or high stream count SD projects, or for
    workgroup-connected systems
    • Dual 3.06 GHz Xeon® processor or higher
    • Qualified graphics board (NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1100, FX 1300, FX 1400, FX 3400,
    FX 3450, 3500)
    • IEEE-1394 FireWire port (integrated or add-in card)
    • 40-GB internal IDE drive
    • DVD-ROM or DVD+RW drive

What intrigues me about this requirement is the notation of Xeon processors (as opposed to Core 2 Duos, or similar...which are actually in some qualified systems)...and the elimination of Quadro FX 5XX cards as a qualified graphics board (also noted in some qualified systems).

These hardware requirements coupled with the current state of the Assurance positioning causes me to adopt a "wait and see" tactic on the upgrade.  Sounds like a nice upgrade until you take into account the new hardware costs.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

• teddylevy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 40
    • Points 440

If you're running a current version of Xpress  Pro, then MC should run just as well on your  system..

• Fri, Mar 21 2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Just a note on system compatability.  Your graphics card can make a very big difference in your overall performance and stability with Avid. While we have lots of customers using non-certified 3D graphic cards with Xpress Pro, we have found this to be problematic with Media COmposer. In fact, our top tech fix for customers with Media Composer issues is upgrading the graphic card to a Quadro FX 1400/1500/1700 or higher card. They will run you about $500, but worht every penny for stability and performance.

We are in the process of reconfiguring our DIY6 machine (even before we get the first article out) to iincorporate the new Quadro FX 1700 card. We're doing this specifically becuase we feel it is the best choice for Media Composer. We'll also be installing a new G-Tech G-Speed Es external eSata solution into this machine.

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Fri, Mar 21 2008 3:04 PM In reply to

If you trust eBay, check there for the FX3500... that's where I got mine for around $500 and it made a big difference in performance for my system.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 5:55 PM In reply to

videoguy:

While we have lots of customers using non-certified 3D graphic cards with Xpress Pro, we have found this to be problematic with Media COmposer. In fact, our top tech fix for customers with Media Composer issues is upgrading the graphic card to a Quadro FX 1400/1500/1700 or higher card.

Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the end of my love-hate relationship with Avid editing applications.  Because I'm not a full-time editor, I tend to use my computer for a multi-purpose machine; having a Quadro FX card essentially destroys performance in every application except Avid.

I've got the Adobe Master Collection anyway (for all the other applications, like Photoshop and After Effects); I might try Premiere Pro (Adobe qualifies the GeForce 8800 series, which is the video card I've got) and see how it goes.  I don't expect it to be a better application than Avid (in fact, I expect otherwise), but at least I won't be stuck in the constant Quadro rat race.

After I experiment with that, we'll see if I should try the MC upgrade.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 8:26 PM In reply to

As much as respect Gary, there is really no need for Avid to use Quadro cards. Yes they are the ones qualified but that is because Avid only qualifies HP workstations.

Avid stability is more about the right NVidia drivers and settings. With few exceptions, Avid does not care if you are running a Quadro FX1400 or GeForce 8800GT. I am running the latter on my home system.

If you want to use none Quadro cards go right ahead but post and/or search the forums first to get feedback.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 8:42 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Dom,

No argument about being able to use nVidia 3D cards with the right drivers. If you are willing to do the research, you will be just fine. Make sure you are running the specific drivers recommended by other users with successful systems.

That said, Quadro FX cards are still a good choice. They cost a little more, but it's worth it for the stability.  We have found that MC is less forgiving then X Pro when it comes to graphics cards. I'm not saying you can't have a stable system without a Quadro.  I'm saying many folks run into stability / performance issues with MC that are graphics related. Using a Quadro FX card is the easiest solution for those who have stability issues caused by graphics issues.

Bottom line is that MC Soft is a great upgrade. You may need to upgrade your graphics card and / or drivers. If this happens to you 1st step is to do research on the boards and knowledge base and see if the solution for you is just loading the right drivers. If it isn't you can either get a Quadro FX card or an nVidia 3D gaming card. If you get the gaming card, just make sure you do some more research and load the right drivers.

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Fri, Mar 21 2008 9:19 PM In reply to

• clockhart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbus, OH
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,130

Steeldestroyer:

Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the end of my love-hate relationship with Avid editing applications.  Because I'm not a full-time editor, I tend to use my computer for a multi-purpose machine; having a Quadro FX card essentially destroys performance in every application except Avid.

I've got the Adobe Master Collection anyway (for all the other applications, like Photoshop and After Effects); I might try Premiere Pro (Adobe qualifies the GeForce 8800 series, which is the video card I've got) and see how it goes.  I don't expect it to be a better application than Avid (in fact, I expect otherwise), but at least I won't be stuck in the constant Quadro rat race.

After I experiment with that, we'll see if I should try the MC upgrade.

What kind of performance issues are you having with the Quadro?  I use the Adobe collection with no problem at all.  I seldom use Premiere, but After Effects, Encore, and Photoshop get regular workouts.

Chris

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.7 Dell Precision 390 Core2Duo 2 Gigs Ram Quadro FX 3450 120 Gig Boot 300 Gig Media Drive 200 Gig Media Drive - External ; Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 4:06 AM In reply to

.- Quadros are not only supported, are recommended by any graphic application, including any of the ADOBE apps.

They are not recommended for gaming though.

But anyway, I totally agree with Dom. They are not indispensable.

I use a Geforce and I have no problems or limitations AT ALL.

Quadros are based on the same chipsets Geforce uses, they only have some features unlocked.

In fact, you can convert some Geforces to Quadro.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 4:51 AM In reply to

• Lancer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 160
    • Points 2,355

Okay, I've ordered my upgrade, but I'm concerned my graphics card won't make the cut. In fact, I'm still running 4.6 because I wasn't certain I could run 5.x effectively with a GeForce FX 5700.

In the event it won't I'm considering getting a MacBook Pro (I need an editing laptop, I like the way it looks)

So two questions.

1) Any chance MC will run on my old PC workstation with the ancient graphics card? (Check my stats, Dual Xeon 3.07, 2gig of ram, but its an Asus PC-DL mobo, no way I can add a bigger graphics board.)

2)If I get the Macbook Pro, and FLASH my dongle upgrade to MC, will it be backwards compatible if I leave AXP on the old PC? Could I move the dongle back and forth between MC on a Macbook and AXP on the old PC?

Dual Xeon 3.07 2 gigs of Ram ASUSTek PC-DL 1.0X Mobo Windows XP SP2 80gig System Drive dual WD 120 gig Raid0 Internal Media (240gig 'e' drive)... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:33 PM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 511
    • Points 6,275

Changing certain geforce's to quadros is relatively straight forward with Riva Tuner

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

interesting how-to guide here

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?=&Itemid=172&option=com_forum&p=33734&page=viewtopic

Curious what videoguy says about MC Soft being more picky about graphics cards. It was always my understanding that AXP was just MC soft with certain functionality locked out, meaning the equivalent point release (2.8 MC vs 5.8 AXP) would be identical in performance in both versions.

i7-2600k Home Build - MC 7.0.6 / 8GB RAM xw8600 Dual Quad 3ghz - MC 5.0.4. on Win 7 x64 with Mojo SDI - 12gb RAM / Quadro 3500 and 3ware 9650SE Raid 5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 652
    • Points 7,840

Lancer:

2)If I get the Macbook Pro, and FLASH my dongle upgrade to MC, will it be backwards compatible if I leave AXP on the old PC? Could I move the dongle back and forth between MC on a Macbook and AXP on the old PC?

I received my MC upgrade yesterday and find after installing and performing the flash on the Avid dongle key that AXP still works on both of my systems along with the upgraded MC, though I will most likely remove AXP from my system and work only with MC.  

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:56 PM In reply to

• Lancer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 160
    • Points 2,355

Okay, this confirms what I heard on another board. Good news. It means I can justify the Macbook Pro to the wife! (And still keep some functionality on my Workstation - untill I upgrade it later.)

Dual Xeon 3.07 2 gigs of Ram ASUSTek PC-DL 1.0X Mobo Windows XP SP2 80gig System Drive dual WD 120 gig Raid0 Internal Media (240gig 'e' drive)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 1:28 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 652
    • Points 7,840

Lancer:
    It means I can justify the Macbook Pro to the wife!

In the last month I've purchased the Adobe production Premium Suite (500.00 rebate if you own AXP), Adobe Captivate and MC. My wife is in-charge of the books for our company and I have now run out of justifications for any further purchases! If Avid makes any big announcements during NAB concerning hardware for MC I will need some suggestions as to the need for another purchase. I've already hinted that I may need to replace my current DNA (Mojo) hardware and have gotten that blank stare look.

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
Page 11 of 12 (174 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller