Latest post Mon, Apr 14 2008 1:27 PM by AK-Jake. 66 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 3:50 PM

• Rodean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 70
    • Points 785

AXP R.I.P.

Sleep well my dear friend.   

Now jump on the Media Composer and don't look back!!!

2.7 27" iMac 12GB ram OS 10.10 MC 8.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 4:33 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 222
    • Points 2,675

Re: AXP R.I.P.

Hard to beat $495 to upgrade to MC soft! Now lemme see if I can still use it on my G4 Powerbook...
    Mid 2014 Retina MBP 2.5 i7 w16 GB RAM. Running MC Symphony 2018 with PhraseFind! High Sierra 10.13.6. OWC Thunderbolt dock, 2xSSD Akitio Thunderbolt enclosure... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 4:45 PM In reply to

• hansriet
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

That's the best Avid news I've heard in years.

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 6:58 PM In reply to

I could find no upgrade offer AXP to MC in the avid store. what are youfolks talking about?

Rodney

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 7:04 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

It's not posted yet. See the Post in the general Forum titled "New Communication from Avid"

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 7:10 PM In reply to

Do you know if this upgrade price ($495) is going to be offered for us XPress Pro users from now on, or is this a time-sensitive upgrade offer?

I own two commercial licenses of XPress Pro 4.7 and would like to upgrade them both, but I can't swing $1000 at the moment.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jdb

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 7:39 PM In reply to

I think it's great Avid is offering this and I'll almost certainly take advantage of the upgrade, but I still honestly believe they don't get it. Avid's user base tells them they need to be able to compete with Final Cut Pro's price point so they reduce the price of MC to twice that of FCP and then get rid of their least expensive (and if I remember correctly, still more expensive than FCP) product.

I despair every time one of my clients or a new client calls and says, "we want you to cut for us and, by the way, we've just gone to Final Cut because..." and they then give one of several reasons we've all heard.

I gladly filled out that long online survey Avid sent me months ago. And I wrote a long essay at the end about what I saw as the problems (price being only one) that were jeopardizing this company and this product I've built my career on. And I got a form email back saying, "we hear you and stay tuned." And I have kept my eye on my inbox even as I have been stuck in yet another long-form doc that would work go so much more smoothly on this system so many are abandoning for inarguable reasons. And I wonder, did you really hear us?

Rantingly,

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 7:45 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

If Avid made cell phones and mp3 players, they probably could sell their software at FCP's price point.  Of if they made the computer that was required to run their software, they could sell Media Composer for $1300 and make their money on the hardware.  But Avid doesn't have the depp pockets and additional product lines (consumer product lines) that Apple does. 

Honestly, $2,495 is a much lower price point than I was anticipating, and I believe--for $1,000 more--it's now a much, much, much greater value than FCP.

My 2 cents.

Michael.

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 8:06 PM In reply to

Michael,

I agree with you that MC is a superior product to FCP. My real concern is that I'm going to be stuck in a few years working on FCP exclusively because Avid can't or refuses to find a way to work within the existing market. I think price is only one of the reasons FCP is gaining in the marketplace. And, yes, I think economies of scale as well as marketing budget aid the competition, but these and other issues can be addressed by Avid and -for whatever reason- don't appear to be.

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 8:18 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

This new move is the FIRST BIG MOVE I have seen by Avid that is geared towards it's customers. Bravo. I will be upgrading to the MC software after not using my XPro software for 5 years (cutting my demo only).

A sign of the times: My new facility is dumping MC Adrenalines & a DS for all FCP HD stations in the fall. It is happening everywhere I look. Avid has been putting nails in the coffin for smaller shops for years by not being there for the customers. It's not only the price point...you get a lot more for your money with Final Cut Studio 2 and it's quicktime based...and the FCP community is awesome.

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 8:19 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

grafixjoe:
    it's quicktime based.

You say that like it's a good thing. Smile

Michael.

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 8:20 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

It is (IMHO).

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Mon, Mar 17 2008 9:24 PM In reply to

• Avid 99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,520

I don't know what Avid's plans are to compete with FCP and the cheap (by comparison) HD interfaces, but if they don't have a plan, they're driving business away.

I don't see that there's a future for Avid in my personal business.  I'll still continue to freelance at boutiques and clients who have Avids, but I'm going to FCP and Premiere Pro for my home-based work where I can outfit a nice competitive HD suite for around $10K.

I may even sell my Avid stock now, if this is indicative of the "new thinking" at Avid.  This kind of change isn't the direction they should be going, IMO.  Not too smart to be sending customers into the arms of the competition.

MBP 17" - 1x2 2.66 - 4G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - MC 6.0.3 ///// MacPro3,1 - 2x4 3GHz - 32G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - ATTO R680 SAS RAID5 (8x2TB) - MC 6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 12:36 AM In reply to

• glitch
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 1,021
    • Points 12,150

Link to upgrade page here

MacPro "Trashcan" Matrox MX02 MINI MAX MacBook Pro, Black Magic box [view my complete system specs]

Have an issue? Here's a tissue.

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 2:43 AM In reply to

• Bobby
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando
    • Posts 35
    • Points 440

If anyone has read the message boards, the excuses, and sarcasm from avid over the past year or so you could see the writing on the wall. MC upgrade is a great start, but a little to late for me and obviously others.  I just made the move to FCP. 

Tomorrow is too late when your competition has already crossed the finish line.

Avid not supporting the EX-1 was the last straw for me.  Another Avid issue that had a sorry lame excuse, they removed the feature to export .flv , iPhone and a few other export plugins. Avid tech support's answer was too many bugs so we removed it, meanwhile FCP has no prob with these features. If you are working on a project for SD, and shoot in HD, FCP keeps the full HD resolution so you can use it to your advantage.  AXP & MC fall short here. Avid just does not have the resources and FCP blew past Avid while they were out to lunch.

Sorry Avid, I hope you have something good to announce. In the meantime I'll be driving FCP with my competition. 

Apple G5 2.5 Dual, 3 Gigs of Ram, ATI Radeon X800 XT Xpress Pro 5.7.3 HP zd8000 notebook 3.4 P4, 2 gig ram, Avid Xpress Pro. 5.7.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 5 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller