Latest post Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:13 PM by jwrl. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 5:25 PM

• James Ojoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

Xpress Pro and Vista

Is there still no way I could run Avid Xpress 5.0 on Vista? I looked at the previous messages and they were from early 07 and it wsa not compatible at the time.

any info is much appreciated. thanks

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 5:51 PM In reply to

Re: Xpress Pro and Vista

Some have been able to run it in 32 bit Vista. Search.

There is no chance for it in 64 bit Vista.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 5:53 PM In reply to

• Puddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,905

The recommended operating system is Windows XP, 32 bit with service pack 2 installed. (Earlier versions in the 4.x up to 4.6, as best as I can remember, could run without the service pack).

Sticking to Avid's recommended system specs is important to ensure trouble free operation and there is a lot of information in different parts of the Avid website.

Vista is not support for Avid Xpress Pro right now and is being replaced with MC this year. It will though be supported until 2013, but does not say whether it will be given approval for Vista. - please see the other posts about the latest news.

Most editors will have their Avid as a dedicated machine to editing and so XP serves the job perfectly well. Is there any reason why you want/are interested in Vista?

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:01 PM In reply to

• James Ojoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

thanks for the info.

I actually detest Vista but I am buying a new computer and the new processors are not compatible with XP. If I could I would love to have XP on my new computer but it wouldn't work. So I am in a bind: I am buying a new powerful computer partly for editing but the more powerful computers are not compatible with Avid.

I talked to Dell and they said that Core 2 Duo processors are compatible with XP but the  new Quad Core processors aren't. In your opinion would you say Core 2 Duo is sufficient for editing? It will also have 4GB of RAM.

thanks againl

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:11 PM In reply to

The CPU cannot be the cause of the incompatibility. No Intel CPU is Vista only (that would be insane).

I doubt that any hardware in that Dell system is Vista only. It is probably Vista only because Dell and Microsoft is forcing buyers to accept Vista.

If you are going to spend that much money, I suggest HP. Better tech support with HP also.

Core 2 Duo is fine for Avid.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:18 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

You have to make a second call. I have not  hear anything about XP not compatible with Quad Core. Avid have one quad on their recomendation list, a HP.

I will recomend You to buy Vista business because, you have to confirm this by yourself, you will get rigths to downgrade to XP, if you have the cd with XP.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

I agree with Dom. Go with an HP - they're more reliable and you can still get the business products with XP Pro.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• Puddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,905

Talking to any supplier, you should always be cautious about what they say. If the primary aim of this machine is to be used for AXP, the system requirements are the system requirements and if they can't meet your needs then you shouldn't buy from them. Keep the system requirements in front of you when on the phone.

A quick google gives me a link to a page: Dual or Quad Core processors - will Windows XP support both? That in summary says Windows XP Pro will work with Quad Core processors.

As for AXP being able to utilize them to their maximum potential, I believe it can't.

If you're after an new editing workhorse you could also take a look at the Mac Pro. You can have bootcamp and dual boot into XP is you need to. HP is good too. Shop around and good luck on your purchase.

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:28 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

If you buy the dell business line you can get either XP or Vista as the OS. 

I disagree about the HP comment - we have all Dell computers at work and their support has been top notch - I have had more issues with HP support when working on clients' machines than Dell.  Everyone has different experiences - YMMV.

That being said, there are more HP certified models than Dell (especially since the 690 was never certified), so if you want to buy a certified high-end desktop machine for use with a mojo, you will almost need to go HP.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:13 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Dom Q. Silverio:
    he CPU cannot be the cause of the incompatibility. No Intel CPU is Vista only (that would be insane).

I doubt that any hardware in that Dell system is Vista only. It is probably Vista only because Dell and Microsoft is forcing buyers to accept Vista.

I've run Vista 32-bit on the quadcore that is now running a mix of XP and Linux.  None of those OS's failed to perform as expected.

Bottom line?  Take technical advice from someone wanting to sell you something with a grain of salt.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller