Latest post Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:45 PM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 11:37 AM

Help with Import of HD MXF

I'm trying to learn AVID Express Pro so I can then upgrade my camera kit and start shooting and editing in HD.  I've recently got someone to give me a DVD with some footage from the Panasonic HVX200 on in MXF format so I can play with HD work flow.

Problem - when I try to import the HD MXF file into a BIN I get a message from AVID - "You can not import this file into a BIN. See the documentation for information about transferring media files"

I think this means it doesn't see the MXF files as video? Perhaps? The same procedure works OK with standard def AVI files for instance.

I already asked before if Express Pro was suitable for HD use and was told "yes" - so what am I doing wrong?

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 12:22 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Help with Import of HD MXF

Without knowing a lot more about your system it's hard to help.  Go to your user profile and add your system details as comprehensively as you can.

That said, you certainly can import and use media from the HVX200.  I regularly use the HVX202-EN, a variant, and have absolutely no problems.  My version of Avid is currently 5.8, but I've been doing this without problems since 5.2.

I know that the Avid knowledge base has instructions.  Check it out.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

i think section 2 of this tutorial will get you on your way

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 12:52 PM In reply to

Thank you both for replies.

I will check out those tutorials - I am also (as I type) downloading the latest upgrade 5.8.

One question though...

Can I just confirm that AVID 5.8 (latest version) does actually support the DVCPROHD format. This is what I am told the footage I've been given is. Searching the web and AVID sites is confusing as it refers to HD support but later says HDV - which is obviously different.

The HVX best mode is full HD - "DVCPROHD" - so once I've jumped over these hurdles will I be able to edit in that format?

Thanks. 

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 1:13 PM In reply to

• tgacga
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Greensburg, PA
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,685

What about .MXF files that are on a dvd as .MXF files...panasonic gave me a disc that has sample files I was going to test out but upon import the editor just closes.  It gets about half way thru the imoport and poof Avid is gone.  Anyone had this happen?  I believe I am follwing the "rules" correctly but might have some other problem. 

HPxw8200 dual 3.4 xeon 4gb DDR-2 SDRAM 73gb scsi sys drive removeable 160gb ide storage drive removeable 320gb sata storagedrive internal 500gb sata2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:45 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Lastindependent:
    Can I just confirm that AVID 5.8 (latest version) does actually support the DVCPROHD format.

jwrl:
    you certainly can import and use media from the HVX200.  I regularly use the HVX202-EN, a variant, and have absolutely no problems.  My version of Avid is currently 5.8, but I've been doing this without problems since 5.2.

DVCpro HD is the format that the Panasonic 200 series cameras use for HD.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller