Latest post Wed, Apr 23 2008 12:20 AM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 16 2008 10:48 PM

• thom_allen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Slow playback in HDV

Hi

I seem unable to play HDV clip in Xpress Pro - starting playing slowing and then jumps between stills. Has anyone any ideas what trhe problem might be? 

It my first project in HDV and is a new system so wondering whether:

- if my computer isnt fast enough, what is the minium spec? for editing HDV?

- is my computer not working properly (its a self build)?

- or is it a setting in avid i've got wrong?

The project was shot in DVCPRO HDV (1080i/50i) has been imported to harddrive from P2 card.

Thanks,

Thom

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.66Ghz Intel Core2Duo, 2Gb DDR2, Nvidia Quadro FX1500, Samsung SpinPoint SATAII HDD

Window XP pro service pack 2

• Fri, Apr 18 2008 11:17 PM In reply to

• dennislink
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denver
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,035

Re: Slow playback in HDV

1.  You need every bit of that 2GB RAM to run HDV.  If you can afford a bit more RAM, you might want to make that upgrade. 

2.  Make sure you go through the readme file that comes with the program and configure your video card correctly.  You could have the resolution set too high for the system to perform well. 

3.  Make sure that you have turned off any background processes.  You might want to turn off anti-virus to see if that is causing you problems.  Videoguys.com also has a sheet of tweaks to get the most out of your operating system.  If your system is not one of the approved systems (which I gather it isn't), you should also look at the documentation of your motherboard to determine if you are sharing resources between PCI slots that could be causing slow downs.

4.  Make sure your project type is the same as the media (i.e an HDV project type)  If you are not using an HDV project type, you should transcode your media to a DNxHD codec for better performance.

Good Luck!

Core Duo 2.4 GHz 2GB RAM nVidia Quadro FX 550 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 19 2008 4:02 AM In reply to

• mcabery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 995

DVCPro HD isn't HDV... HDV only requires a fraction of the bit rate that the Panasonic system uses.  Your drives  may not be fast enough... Start there and keep working on it.

i7 Broadwell 6800K on an Asus X99A-II, 6 2TB Seagate drives in RAID 5, Windows 10, MXO2 Mini Max and the latest version of Avid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 19 2008 6:15 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Thom, your drive(s) should be fast enough for a single stream of DVCpro HD at 100 Mb/s.  However your SATA interface may not be.

Although SATA II should have a throughput of 300 Mb/s, depending on the hardware, the practical speed measured may be well under 100 Mb/s.  Major offenders here can be the onboard chipsets, which rely on raw CPU power.  For that reason I use an Adaptec PCIe card which has its own processor.

You may also like to check the jumper settings on your drive as a first step.  A lot of hard drives come jumpered for 150 Mb/s operation and need to be set to 300 Mb/s by the user.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 22 2008 9:58 PM In reply to

I would argue differently. First of all we need to determine if this is DVCPRO HD or HDV. HDV uses GOP (group of pictures) which requires a tremendous amount of processing to unpack. A slower machine that might be able to run DVCPRO HD quite nicely could get hung up on the GOP issue.

HP z840, with dual E5-2634 v4 Xeon processors at 2.2ghz (10 cores each). 32GB ram. NVIDIA m4000 video card. EVO SAN with 96tb and raid 5 over Cat6. Artist... [view my complete system specs]

I think we need a few more digital HD formats

• Wed, Apr 23 2008 12:20 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Guywithcat:
    A slower machine that might be able to run DVCPRO HD quite nicely could get hung up on the GOP issue.

Yes, that's true, but in this case:

thom_allen:
    The project was shot in DVCPRO HDV (1080i/50i) has been imported to harddrive from P2 card.

If the media was imported from a P2 card it was shot on a Panasonic camera.  It's therefore likely that it isn't "DVCPRO HDV" (there's no such thing anyway) but actually DVCpro HD.  In that case the drive system throughput requirements are higher than for DV or HDV.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller