Latest post Thu, May 29 2008 1:15 PM by tomtom01. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 21 2008 1:43 PM

• tomtom01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 26 2007
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Capturing using HDV Camera

Hi all, I purchased Avid Media Composer in November and set it up to digitize footage from my Canon XH A1 Camcorder. This has been going well and I have managed to digitize on the fly as it doesnt allow me to batch edit with this cam so i usually just play from the cam, select Video and A1/A2  from the capture window and click on record and let it do its thing. I have done this a lot over the last 6 months, using a Firewire connection from the cam to my PC, My Deck Configuration is set to CHANNEL=Firewire on OHCI and DECK=Generic DVDevice-PAL, so all is well...

...Not anymore! Last night I took my canon to capture an event all the settings i had used in the past, when i got in today i tried to digitize the footage and it just keeps telling me that there is no input signal?? I have been at it all day trying to fix it, from turning everything off and reconnecting it and restarting again to putting all the settings back to default and starting from scratch. nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened as i am stumped!

Thanks

• Wed, May 21 2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Terrance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Athens, GA
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Re: Capturing using HDV Camera

Some things I would try:

1. Make sure you NEVER hotplug the firewire, that is connect/disconnect the FW while the camera is turned on.

2. Since you're capturing HDV, check to make sure that a. your camera is not accidentally set to downconvert to SD on playback(I'm not sure if the Cannon has this option), b. you're Avid is set to an HDV project with the format tab set on the appropriate flavor of HDV. Also check on the record tool itself -- it should tell you what format you're actually capturing to.

3. Sometimes when I start a new project, I find that Avid sometimes doesn't carry over settings from a previous project, so go through and double check to make sure your settings are all the same.

4. Try clicking on "Check decks" or even using a different deck option than Generic DV.

Good luck,

Terrance

XPproHD 5.2.4 w/ Studio Toolkit 5.1 and Mojo; Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz; 4Gig RAM; NVidia Quadro FX1500; homebuilt [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 21 2008 3:04 PM In reply to

• tomtom01
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Thanks Terrance, tried all of that, still nothing, its odd as Avid capture is finding the camera and allowing me to control it using the capture tool, so i can play, stop, forward and rewind, but everytime i start play and select V A1 & A2 a pop up says that there is no input signal?

Any other ideas?

I have even used tapes that I have already digitized and also opened projects that I have recently been using to try and digitize some footage in the bins already set up, but still nothing.

• Thu, May 29 2008 1:15 PM In reply to

• tomtom01
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Thanks again, I had a day off to clear my head then when i got back i returned the camera settings to default and started from the beginning, now it works again.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller