Latest post Fri, May 15 2009 3:33 PM by baddog. 81 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (82 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 28 2009 2:42 AM In reply to

Re: G5's, MacPro's & MC 3

Todd my system specs mirror both of yours.  What v. of QT would you recommend?

Thanks.

Avid MC 5.0.0 (w/Matrox Mini 02). Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Intel Core I7 920 2.66 GHz, Corsair Core i7 XMS3 12GB DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, NVIDIA Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 2 2009 6:16 PM In reply to

There are Qucik Time threads at the tip of this forum to help you identify which version you need.

Todd

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Mon, Mar 2 2009 10:18 PM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

There are quite a few feature and responsiveness upgrades with the 3.0 release.

MC 2.8 runs on Tiger 10.4.11 

MC 3.0 runs on Leopard 10.5.3

MC 3.0.1 runs on Tiger 10.4.11

Besides the OS, there is little to choose between MC 3.0 and MC 3.0.1.  If you don't want to install a new OS then 
    MC 3.0.1 would work for you.  The read me notes for each are available on either the download center or the knowledge Base.  If you have a valid support contract, upgrades are free of charge.  If not, you can purchase just the software or
    a support contract should you like.  In any event, MC 3.0 is a for purchase upgrade 

• Fri, Mar 6 2009 9:44 PM In reply to

• dresfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Todd,

Does this apply to MC 3.5?  I have a G5 Dual 2.0 Adrenaline.  I hear that there are performance and speed issues when running anything over 2.8.3 on a G5.

Also, do you know if the new Mac Pros will take the ATTO (SCSI) cards from my old G5 Dual 2.0?

Thanks!

Adrenaline MC 5.5.1 on Mac Pro Nahelem [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, Mar 8 2009 12:51 PM In reply to

Indeed your G5 is no longer qualified.  That said, I run MC 3.0.1 on my dual core G5 and it runs great.  I've not tested 3.5 on a G5, so I cannot vouch for it one way or the other.  Your ATTO card will NOT fit in a MacPro of any kind if your G5 is dual processor.  Dual processor G5's had pci or pci x slots.  MacPro's have pci-e slots.  However, dual core G5's had pci-e slots.  Is yours dual core or dual processor?  The easiest way to tell is by checking the pci slot type or the video card type in the System Profiler.  A dual core macgine will have pci-e for both, while older dual processor G5's will have AGP video cards and pci or pci-x slots.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Mar 9 2009 3:08 PM In reply to

• dresfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

It says PCI slots in System Profiler.  I think it's Dual CPUS - not Dual Cores  Tyoe was PowerMac7,2.

Any ideas how to get to an Intel Mac and not buy new PCI ATTO cards?

Thanks!

Adrenaline MC 5.5.1 on Mac Pro Nahelem [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 9 2009 8:20 PM In reply to

The only way would be to abandon SCSI storage.  You could put an internal SATA array into the MacPro instead... which is a fabulous idea anyway... (=  You need a UL5D and they go for $500 new... not sure about the ebay route.

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 10:05 AM In reply to

A producer friend needs to buy a new MacPro to run MC 3.1 (or MC 3.5) for XDCam HD editing. He has a working system now with his old G5 but it's tending to stop and go at times. So he's asked me for advice on selecting a new computer.

I've checked the qualified Mac workstations for Avid and saw that Dual Quadcore 3GHz would be best for him.

But Mac now only sells MacPros with Dual Quadcore 2.26, 2.66 or 2,93 GHz processors. Will any of these work with Media Composer?

Rodney

(PS I have done a search for related info on the board, but my search criteria didn't turn up much useful information)

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 10:07 AM In reply to

RodneyinMunich:

A producer friend needs to buy a new MacPro to run MC 3.1 (or MC 3.5) for XDCam HD editing. He has a working system now with his old G5 but it's tending to stop and go at times. So he's asked me for advice on selecting a new computer.

I've checked the qualified Mac workstations for Avid and saw that Dual Quadcore 3GHz would be best for him.

But Mac now only sells MacPros with Dual Quadcore 2.26, 2.66 or 2,93 GHz processors. Will any of these work with Media Composer?

Rodney

(PS I have done a search for related info on the board, but my search criteria didn't turn up much useful information)

whoops! just found http://community.avid.com/forums/t/69368.aspx

I should have serached for "new mac pro" and none of those fancy processor names Wink

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Tue, Mar 17 2009 1:40 PM In reply to

• natural
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 83
    • Points 995

Re: G5's, MacPro's & MC 3..............similar situation

Similar question upgraded to Mac Pro from a mac G5 running MC 3.0.1 on adrenaline

So I am getting a new atto UL5D card, new fire wire card, how important is it for me to upgrade to MC 3.5 .....anything else I need to get to make it a smooth transistion

thanks

Avid Adrenaline MC 5.0.3 Avid mediadock ultra 320, 8TB G SPPED es Pro Mac OS X 10.6.3 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Pro Tools 9.0 Black Lion 002 [view my complete system specs]

www.naturalproductions.com

• Tue, Mar 17 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: G5's, MacPro's & MC 3..............similar situation

It's gonna crush your 1.8.1 system in every regard natural.  I think you will be very, very pleased with the upgrade and find it worth the cost.  Just my opinion!  Smile

• Wed, Mar 18 2009 9:53 PM In reply to

• wsimonett
    • Not Ranked
    • Madison, MS
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,550

New Macs are out. I know it's early but I plan on getting one. Has anyone tested MC on it yet?

Thanks

Bill

Dual 2 GHZ MAC.6 gig ram,3 gig hard drives, Avid w/ MOJO, FCP, Motion MBP Intel core 2 Duo,2.6 GHZ 4 gig ram, 17 inch Matte screen, Avid w/Mojo, &... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Apr 1 2009 7:52 PM In reply to

• edoos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 1 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

hi todd .... I know that it may sound pretty annoying to you by going over and over again .... according to the list that you provided for " which Macs are supported and which are not with the new release of MC 3 " .... everything seems to be quite clear ....... but still I'm not quite sure ....I'm about to upgrade from xpress pro 5.8.3 to at list to the latest  version of media composer that assumes to run on my PowerMAC G5 Quad Core CPU: 4 x2.5 ghz ,memory 8gb, GeForce 6600, operating system OSX 10.5.6(leopard)...... well I'm pretty sure that you're quite familiar with it which is the last product line of the G5 mac ppc sold at the end of 2005 .... anyway.... Recently I requested  personal assistance from on-line support center at avid and asked them about my problem .....They told me that  Power Mac G5 Quad (Apple) it's not compatible with Media Composer 3, it only works with Media Composer 2.8. .... Well I don't know what to do ....as it is explained on your post -All 'core-based' G5's are supported with MC 3 and DNA hardware ....so it seems that they can handle the new release of MC 3 pretty well ...... except only the MC v3.5 which is the current versions at the moment and support only intel based (mac pro....) ....

Please todd can you help me out to solve this problem .... I'm little confused .... can you clarify one more time this compatibility issue which is nagging me ..... sorry again ..... thanks in advance 

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 11:36 PM In reply to

Hi edoos,

Your Quad G5 is a great machine and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  The post you are referring to was written with the initial release of MC 3 and indeed G5's were supported at that time.  MC 3.5 officially ushered in the death of G5 support.  However, the information you got that you must roll back to 2.8 is incorrect. 

You have two options as I see it.

1-You could erase and re-format your G5 to OS 10.4.11 and install MC 3.1.2.  I run this on a dual core G5 at home and it is rock solid.

2-Run MC 3.1.2 on Leopard.  I do not have my read me info in front of me here at home, but I do not think 10.5.6 was supported to run 3.1.2.  I think it maxed out at 10.5.5.  That said if you have DNA hardware, you will want to run 10.4.11 or 10.5.5 or higher to avoid the firewire bug. 10.5-10.5.4 are not usable with DNA hardware.

Does that help?

• Thu, Apr 2 2009 12:59 AM In reply to

• edoos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 1 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks a Million Todd for the quick reply ....... huuuuuuuu what a relive ..... actually I do have DNA hardware and I intend to use it .... like you are saying above ..... I will downgrade at the 10.5.5 (leopard) or 10.4.11(Tiger)  and upgrade to media composer 3.1.2 .... what else can I say .... thanks a lot pal .... god bless you ..... if I have any problem I will consult that with you .... if you don't mind .... thanks 

Page 5 of 6 (82 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller