Latest post Sun, Aug 17 2008 10:04 PM by BLKDOG. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 17 2008 10:01 PM

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

Academic vs Commercial Distinctions

The academic version has "Not for Commercial Use" plastered all over it, but what exactly is the definition of commerical use? Obviously it's not to be bought by or sold to a non-educational company which profits from editorial work, but does it also extend to any kind of work with money involved?

My situation is that I'm still a student and I am considering getting my own Avid setup. I'd certainly like to save 80% by getting the academic version, but does that bar me from charging for my time on any work I do which includes MC Academic in the workflow?

Granted, a lot of people probably just buy academic if they qualify for it and do what they will with it regardless of the contract agreement (and Avid probably doesn't really care unless theyre making significant profit), but I'd like to know what exactly I'm agreeing to by buying a "Not for Commercial Use" product.

Side note, I dual boot, does the Academic Windows version come with Metafuze? I still haven't gotten an answer about that.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Avid Media Composer v6.0.1 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]

I trust orange juice more than I trust most people.

• Sun, Aug 17 2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Academic vs Commercial Distinctions

It's a matter of business ethics. If you can agree to one thing and turn around and do another and still look yourself in the mirror, then that's up to you.

The agreement says, if you are using academic software, you agree not to charge for your work.

Also, if you are charging for your work and can't afford $2500 for your software, you are definitely doing something wrong.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller