Latest post Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:16 PM by Dieg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:28 PM

• joshuapbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2007
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 25
    • Points 390

MC 3.0 on Mac Pro... Will not capture HDV

I have been back and forth with Avid Tech Support for the past few weeks and have had no information on how to fix this yet...wanted to run this by you.

The Computer is a mac pro Dual Dual core 3ghz 4gb memory...Running 10.5.3. 

The Deck is a Sony HVR M25U with footage shot on a Sony Z1u 1080 59 .94 

The Project ....and Ive tried creating new ones. new users. new computer users. didnt work...is a 1080 59.94 Raster HDV.

When I open capture tool I see footage hear audio... when I click record... I get an error message saying Video and Audio are present but failed to capture. . . another one sometimes that says expected a non drop frame tape a drop frame was detected....blah blah you know that one... sometimes the video and audio channels will unselect and when you reselect them I get the no input present message...then close the capture tool and open it, my video is back..same process....... another message states it failed to find starting point on tape. 

Yesterday ran a test with Standard DVCAM 4:3 and it captured fine!!! dont get it.

HELP!

Media Composer Adenaline Quad Processor Mac Dual 30' mac screens 8 TB Lanshare [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:33 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: MC 3.0 on Mac Pro... Will not capture HDV

Nine times out of ten when this happnes, the deck/camera is set to downconvert in the menus.

Have you checked that?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:44 PM In reply to

• joshuapbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 25
    • Points 390

Yeah, It is turned off...  I would also like to not that I tried to capture HDV from the z1u directly...again same messages...and same results with Standard DVCAM footage.

Something has to be not communicating correctly with HDV. would be my guess.

I tried multiple tapes from different cameras shot at different times.

same results

Media Composer Adenaline Quad Processor Mac Dual 30' mac screens 8 TB Lanshare [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:47 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Could be though HDV generally works pretty well (at least as well as it can).

COuld you clarify something for me... you say:

joshuapbs:
    I would also like to note that I tried to capture HDV from the z1u directly...again same messages...and same results with Standard DVCAM footage

What do you mean by "Directly"? How was it attached before? What type of storage are you using?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:54 PM In reply to

• joshuapbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 25
    • Points 390

Directly ... it was plugged in firewire from the camera to the front of the Mac.

the Deck is also plugged in via firewire to the Mac.

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:55 PM In reply to

• joshuapbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 25
    • Points 390

Storage has been between an internal, firewire 800, and Lanshare

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:57 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Ah...got it.

So, the system won't capture either DV or HDV from the cam but it will capture DV from the deck? 

• Thu, Sep 4 2008 9:09 PM In reply to

• joshuapbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 25
    • Points 390

lol. It will capture DVCAM from either just fine.

• Tue, Nov 11 2008 3:44 AM In reply to

• editormayhem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 11 2008
    • Boston
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I'm having the same problem with my Media Composer & M10U (same error messages, unable to capture HDV, no problem capturing miniDv or DVCam). The only way that I've been able to capture the HDV into the box has been by disabling deck control and capturing on the fly. This is still a bit buggy, because sometimes it will capture a half hour, sometime a few minutes.

But all this is making me worried about editing in HDV, and onlining a half hour to HD.

Should I downconvert to DV25 using the HVR1500 and pray for a smooth online?

MacPro 2x3GHz Dual Core, 5GB/ram, Media Composer 2.8, OS 10.4.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2008 8:14 PM In reply to

• editormayhem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 11 2008
    • Boston
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I got some sage advice about getting control of the deck, which has worked so far for me today. You need to restart the system with the deck unattached via firewire, and try going into settings>deck configuration and try creating a new configuration for the deck (with it unattched to the system). There I was able to create a new configuration with the M10U as the deck (rather than generic NTSC device, but you could try that if you are doing otherwise), and I was able to capture.

But this being HDV, it still stops recording when it hits some sort of TC bump.

The same person who told me about the deck control fix also suggested that I capture everything in HDV1080i and then transcode everything to DV for editing, and then I can reattach to the hi-res media for online. Any ideas about this approach?

MacPro 2x3GHz Dual Core, 5GB/ram, Media Composer 2.8, OS 10.4.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 3:25 AM In reply to

Hello,

HDV newbee too. I just want to share a possible fix on this issue.

I had a rough start on capturing too. First, I do not see any video/audio preview, no clips appearing even if i hit the red button on the fly (like mentioned earlier).

I went to check my media resolution. I just switched it to HDV-MXF and it went ok!

Have fun!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:16 PM In reply to

• Dieg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 9 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi

Did you find any solution?. Im having the same problme and I havent been able to solve it.

Thanks

joshuapbs:

I have been back and forth with Avid Tech Support for the past few weeks and have had no information on how to fix this yet...wanted to run this by you.

The Computer is a mac pro Dual Dual core 3ghz 4gb memory...Running 10.5.3. 

The Deck is a Sony HVR M25U with footage shot on a Sony Z1u 1080 59 .94 

The Project ....and Ive tried creating new ones. new users. new computer users. didnt work...is a 1080 59.94 Raster HDV.

When I open capture tool I see footage hear audio... when I click record... I get an error message saying Video and Audio are present but failed to capture. . . another one sometimes that says expected a non drop frame tape a drop frame was detected....blah blah you know that one... sometimes the video and audio channels will unselect and when you reselect them I get the no input present message...then close the capture tool and open it, my video is back..same process....... another message states it failed to find starting point on tape. 

Yesterday ran a test with Standard DVCAM 4:3 and it captured fine!!! dont get it.

HELP!

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors 2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC) Sony Z1u [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller