Latest post Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:57 PM by swrightsls. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:13 PM

when trying to capture hdv get "no signal present" but mini dv works

I just upgraded from Avid Xpress Pro To Composer version 2.7

I can capture mini dv (filmed on the Sony HCR HC1) with no problems. But I cannot capture HDV filmed on the same camera. I am capturing using the camera as a deck and connected directly via firewire (no mojo). I get a "no input signal present" error when I try to select video and audio channels BUT I can control the camera from the Composer (timecode appears on the AVID and I can start and stop).

My project is set to   10801/59.54 HDV. I-link is turned off. I tried to reconfigure the decks with other types of cameras but no luck.

I read that you can capture HDV in Composer. If this isn´t true, I would appreciate a protocol in which I preserve the timecode of the tapes. I need to finish the project in HDV.

THANKS!

PS--I just changed the video card, it is no longer saphire, I don´t know the name but it is approved by AVID for HDV capturing. When I get the name, I will add this.

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER version 3.0 Windows XP 2000 3.5 gigs Ram, firewire connection Processor: ADM Pheno x 4, 64bit, 2.4 Gh2 Trued QuadCore, 4.0MB total... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: when trying to capture hdv get "no signal present" but mini dv works

the card is:

nvidia

nx8600 GT

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER version 3.0 Windows XP 2000 3.5 gigs Ram, firewire connection Processor: ADM Pheno x 4, 64bit, 2.4 Gh2 Trued QuadCore, 4.0MB total... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:29 PM In reply to

The card is:

nvidia

nx8600 GT

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:50 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Most of the time we see this, the problem ends up being that the camera is set for downconvert. Check your cam's menus and make sure downconvert is turned off.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:57 PM In reply to

I have Sony HDR-HC3 & HDR-HC9 cameras, and the following settings are required to capture HDV in MC 3.0:

iLink conversion: OFF (this converts from HDV to DV on the fly)

If you want to capture in DV from HDV source, then the above needs to be ON.

We have three of these cameras, but experience great frustration with dropped frames/ timecode errors when capturing. I am currently capturing about 75 mins of HDV footage on the HC9 camera, and the capture stopped 8 times in 50 minutes of tape. Sometimes it stops when the camera is paused, other times it can be in the middle of a continuous sequence. I am using brand new Fuji Pro HDV tapes; sony and JVC tapes have also been tried. I may try setting the cameras to record in DV mode only, since our students will mostly edit in DV anyway.

Current: 4 x Dell Vostro 200s Core2 2.2Ghz, GeForce 6200/7300/QFX570, 4Gb, MC software 2.8 & 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller