Latest post Thu, Oct 2 2008 1:14 PM by marthaskol. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 30 2008 8:27 PM

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 4 2007
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

Tried to 'Decompose' and get 'There are no clips to Decompose.' Is it a problem with my workflow??

So it appears the way most people are recommending if one needs to edit over 40 hours of video shot at HDV 1080i is to first capture downconverted to a resolution like DV25 in a 30i NTSC is that correct?   (I'm a rookie trying to get a correct workflow so I won't muck things up after weeks of editing!! I've searched through the forums but people have different things to say and it's still unclear to me.)  So would I edit in this format, add all the effects and audio tracks and whatnot, and then: duplicate the sequence; change the project format to HDV 1080i/59.94; then decompose; then batch capture? And if so, will I end up with a new sequence in HDV resolution with all the effects and extra audio tracks intact?

I tried a test run with this workflow and captured 5  two minute clips and cut pieces of them to make a little test sequence. I duplicated it, changed the project type in the 'Format' tab to HDV 1080i/59.94 and then right-clicked on the sequence and selected 'Decompose.' With 'Offline Media Only' checked, it responded with 'There are no clips that need to be decomposed.' After I changed my project type to HDV 1080i/59.94, my DV25/30i NTSC clips still were online when I dragged them into the editing screen .... shouldn't it say 'Offline Media"? What did I do wrong, or what can I do to make this work?

My Sony HVR-A1u HDV video camera was set like this when I originally captured:

VCR HDV/DV (I set to DV)

i-link Conv (I set to HDV -> DV)

Downconvert (I set to Letterbox)

Thanks so much!!!

Windows 7 Avid Media Composer 5 Quicktime 7 Intel core i7 2600k quad core cpu 3.4GHz 8 GB Ram NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti Hawk 1GB video card Hitachi Deskstar... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 30 2008 8:36 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Tried to 'Decompose' and get 'There are no clips to Decompose.' Is it a problem with my workflow??

weekender:
    I duplicated it, changed the project type in the 'Format' tab to HDV 1080i/59.94 and then right-clicked on the sequence and selected 'Decompose.' With 'Offline Media Only' checked, it responded with 'There are no clips that need to be decomposed.'

That's because you used the "Offline Media only "option. If your media is is still online, then there would be no clips seen for decompose. Just don't choose that option next time.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 1:14 PM In reply to

• marthaskol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,460

Re: Tried to 'Decompose' and get 'There are no clips to Decompose.' Is it a problem with my workflow??

and to add to that, be sure to duplicate the sequence you want to decompose and put it in its own bin.  Otherwise it gets pretty messy.

Powermac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz 4GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 Leopard. 10.5.3 Media Composer 3.0 QT 7.4.5 mojo SD Sony dsr20 Sony dsr11 Sony M10U [view my complete system specs]

Martha

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller