Latest post Fri, Oct 17 2008 4:16 PM by Johnla. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 4:56 AM

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 12 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

What are your favorite techniques?

If anyone remembers any of the few posts I've made here since signing up, I've made it quite clear that I hate using effects in Avid.  But since it's impractical to go to After Effects for every single little thing, I'm trying to go with the flow and use Avid's effects as much as possible to pump up the production value of sometimes otherwise boring pieces.  So my question is, what kind of things do you guys like to add and what kind of effects do you apply to spice up your work?  Try to stick with the built in tools, sans Avid FX.  What kind of creativity was used before these tools, and After Effects, came around?

For example, I almost always use the tried and true dissolve with some type of blur or glow on filler above it.  Anybody do anything interesting?  Any good uses for BCC Composite?  Any good uses for...well...anything?  What kind of cool techniques have you guys come up with that you find yourself going back to again and again?  I promise I'll steal only the really good ideas Stick out tongue

• Tue, Oct 14 2008 7:27 PM In reply to

• Johnla
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2005
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 54
    • Points 805
    • Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee

Re: What are your favorite techniques?

Have you tried the tutorials on the Boris site?

http://www.borisfx.com/tutorials/#null

They have some for BCC AVX as well as for other hosts.

Here's another resource:

http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=avid+fx

Just curious, I've read similiar complaints regarding effects in Avid. Do you feel there isn't enough tips and techniques out there? If you feel that way, would you like to see more demos and tutorials (Avid FX, BCC, other 3rd party)? Real-world applications? Compositing and motion graphics techniques?

Johnla

• Tue, Oct 14 2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

Johnla:

Have you tried the tutorials on the Boris site?

http://www.borisfx.com/tutorials/#null

They have some for BCC AVX as well as for other hosts.

Here's another resource:

http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=avid+fx

Just curious, I've read similiar complaints regarding effects in Avid. Do you feel there isn't enough tips and techniques out there? If you feel that way, would you like to see more demos and tutorials (Avid FX, BCC, other 3rd party)? Real-world applications? Compositing and motion graphics techniques?

Yea, the boris site seems to focus mainly on Red, Blue, etc, which I know that Avid FX is essentially just that, but I was wondering what type of things people pull off with just the standard AVX type of plugins.

I'm not really complaining that there aren't enough tips and techniques out there (although truthfully, there aren't), but I was more just curious as to what type of "go to" effects people seem to use a lot.  Like I said, I use the simple dissolve between two clips with a blur or glow put on filler above it.  That's a standard transition I use often, and I was just wondering what type of things others did a lot of.

As far as my complaints with the way Avid works with effects in general, well, I think it sucks.  I much more prefer the way Premire, Final Cut, After Effects, and others deal with effects.  Every clip automatically has general "motion" parameters on it.  You don't have to worry about dealing with special "pre-compute" clips.  You can stack on as many effects as you want and re-order them at will, and you know exactly how they're going to render.  Try adding an animatte to a clip and then putting a 3D warp to scale it down afterwards....whoops...yea, that sucks.  I hate adding an effect to a title, animating it, and then realizing I have to start my title all over again if I need to change something because adding the effect makes the title un-editable.  There's just tons of stuff I can't stand about them.  But I can't change it, so I'm trying to do what I can with what I have and make the most of it, hence this thread.

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 1:59 AM In reply to

SandmanX82:

You don't have to worry about dealing with special "pre-compute" clips.  You can stack on as many effects as you want and re-order them at will, and you know exactly how they're going to render.  Try adding an animatte to a clip and then putting a 3D warp to scale it down afterwards....whoops...yea, that sucks.  I hate adding an effect to a title, animating it, and then realizing I have to start my title all over again if I need to change something because adding the effect makes the title un-editable.  There's just tons of stuff I can't stand about them.  But I can't change it, so I'm trying to do what I can with what I have and make the most of it, hence this thread.

Sounds like you could benefit from "Stepping in" it allows you to put another effect underneath one you've already applied.  Also, what's the specific problem you have with "dealing with precompute clips"? 

Stepping in - make your title.  Add your effect.  Want to change your title?  "Step In"  click the down(?) arrow on the bottom of the timeline.  you just stepped into your effect.  hit the effect editor - and you can now click the little box at the top of the effect window and it brings up the title tool.  edit your title and save it.  Now step out.

TAAAA-DAAAA!!!!

Like what you did and want to keep an example of it?  step out to the top layer of your effects stack.  hit the effect editor - ALT+ Drag the effect Icon to your bin - it shows up as "effect(W/SRC)" now you can load that into your source window and edit it into any other sequence.  that ought to save you a bunch of time from building that effect from scratch over and over again if you use it multiple times in your sequence.

you can also ALT+Step In to effects and replace the fill of an alpha with another fill source. you can stack effects even more that way.

it's acually pretty powerful and quite useful once you get the hang of it.  All of it is spelled out in the Advanced Effects Guide.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 3:43 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

FunkyDragon:

Sounds like you could benefit from "Stepping in" it allows you to put another effect underneath one you've already applied.  Also, what's the specific problem you have with "dealing with precompute clips"? 

Stepping in - make your title.  Add your effect.  Want to change your title?  "Step In"  click the down(?) arrow on the bottom of the timeline.  you just stepped into your effect.  hit the effect editor - and you can now click the little box at the top of the effect window and it brings up the title tool.  edit your title and save it.  Now step out.

TAAAA-DAAAA!!!!

Like what you did and want to keep an example of it?  step out to the top layer of your effects stack.  hit the effect editor - ALT+ Drag the effect Icon to your bin - it shows up as "effect(W/SRC)" now you can load that into your source window and edit it into any other sequence.  that ought to save you a bunch of time from building that effect from scratch over and over again if you use it multiple times in your sequence.

you can also ALT+Step In to effects and replace the fill of an alpha with another fill source. you can stack effects even more that way.

it's acually pretty powerful and quite useful once you get the hang of it.  All of it is spelled out in the Advanced Effects Guide.

Trust me, I'm well aware of stepping in and ALT-dragging and all of that when it comes to effects.

However, with effects added to precomputes, such as titles, the effect can't be placed on top  (or ALT-dragged on top) of the matte key.  It has to replace the matte key in order for them to work (or at least all the BCC effects do).  Once you add a BCC effect to a title clip, the matte key disappears and the title become uneditable.  And that just adds to my whole beef of having to work with precomputes in the first place, like not being able to do a simple match back or find in bin commands on them

And again, with the example I gave with adding a 3D warp on top of an animatte.  Say you take a freeze frame of something, add an animatte to it to cut it out of the rest of the picture, and you want that picture to move across the screen.  You can't add a 3D warp to it to move it, because it takes the background with it.  You're forced to add the 3D warp first, and then the animatte...which means you have to basically rotoscope the still as it moves.  It's just dumb.  There seems to be a bunch of these little workarounds.  Sure, not being able to add a timewarp on top of other effects might not be a big deal because you can just step in and add it as the first effect, but it's all these little things that make it an inconvenience and make it much more of a hassle compared to Final Cut, After Effects, etc.  Sure, I can cut on Avid 10 times faster than on any other system, but when I need to add a lot of effects/compositing elements, that made up time is lost compared to what I could have done in one of the competing packages.

Anyway, this is far beyond the point of why I made this thread.  I have a feeling nobody wants to chime in with regards to the original point anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 7:39 PM In reply to

• Johnla
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 54
    • Points 805
    • Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee

Your original point is valid and not lost. I've contacted the web team here and proposed creating a 3rd Party AVX link to commonly used techniques, tips, etc. The current Knowledge Base we have is more technical and problem oriented, so an easy-to-reach link that shares ideas and workflows might be a nice alternative for users like yourself. I'll keep you posted.

Johnla

• Wed, Oct 15 2008 10:41 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

Awesome John.  I was just looking to start up a discussion with some people and exchange ideas, but a knowledge base would be very helpful as well.  Thanks so much!

• Fri, Oct 17 2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• Johnla
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 54
    • Points 805
    • Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee

Glad to help. Please understand though, that I can only pass suggestions like this to the proper channels, I do not have authority to implement them. Your feedback is certainly welcome and feel free to continue posting. If you don't get a reply, it doesn't mean you are not being heard - because you are.

In the meantime, check out Avid's Knowledge Base. Most of it is problem oriented, but there are also operational items in there that could be of help to you.

Good luck,

John

Johnla

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller