Latest post Fri, Oct 10 2008 5:39 PM by malefunktion. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 8 2008 2:15 PM

• Milco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 29 2007
    • Rome, Italy
    • Posts 32
    • Points 440

Avid dvd question

in Avid dvd what's the difference between Make dvd disc and Make dvd master? I'm trying to make a final dvd of a project and I was trying to use make dvd master on avid dvd but for some reason it doesn't read my dvd burner with that function so I did it by using Make dvd disc.  It works fine on my dvd player and it seems fine but I was just wondering what the difference was and if it could be a problem to read the dvd in other players.

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 3:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,372
    • Points 220,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid dvd question

Milco:

in Avid dvd what's the difference between Make dvd disc and Make dvd master? I'm trying to make a final dvd of a project and I was trying to use make dvd master on avid dvd but for some reason it doesn't read my dvd burner with that function so I did it by using Make dvd disc.  It works fine on my dvd player and it seems fine but I was just wondering what the difference was and if it could be a problem to read the dvd in other players.

Make DVD master is used to send the data to a DTL tape-drive. The tape is then sent to a company for making a "glass master" from which your DVDs will be "pressed" rather than "burned".

It is not surprising it doesn't recognise your DVD burner.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 10 2008 3:41 PM In reply to

• Milco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 29 2007
    • Rome, Italy
    • Posts 32
    • Points 440

ok thanks,

but what is a DTL tape drive? and how does it connect to my laptop? via firewire? usb?

• Fri, Oct 10 2008 4:14 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

It is actually a DLT tape drive. It connects via SCSI,  you can only connect it to your laptop if you have an express card to SCSI adapter(I think they make those).

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 10 2008 5:39 PM In reply to

I ran into an issue using Adobe Encore when the client wanted the disc copy protected for duplication at a lab. I'm not sure if it's the same in Avid DVD, but the encryption process for a DVD Master could only be carried out if the DVD data was sent to a DLT tape prior, and then the tape forwarded on to a lab to press the glass master preserving the necessary encryption keys.

Unless you're using a DLT drive and sending to a lab for glass mastering (and be cautious as there are a myriad of DLT flavours/capacities) then it sounds to me like the way you're making your final disc is correct.

MSI Neo-2 Platinum Nforce3 Ultra (Bios Rev 1.0D) Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Overclocked to 2 x 2.4GHz) AMD Cool'N'Quiet CPU Throttling 2GB Corsair PC3200... [view my complete system specs]

"When the waters are at their calmest, that's when folk most want to skim their pebbles." - Me

"Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller