Latest post Mon, Oct 13 2008 11:25 PM by Hans_Knikman. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 12 2008 9:55 PM

• kmkz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Importing DVD to Avid Xpress Pro

Hi,

I'm looking to import dailies into my Avid system from DVD. I know that there are two ways to do this: (1) use Cinematize (or an equivalent program) to convert the VOB files to QT and import them to Avid, or (2) plug a DVD player into the Mojo and use the Capture tool.

I have been struggling with the (1) method so far. Avid fails to successfully import many of the files I've created for reasons I don't understand. Sometimes they come in as white or black blocks of video, other times they come in limited to 30 seconds. I'm probably using the wrong format/codec combinations. Additionally, in many cases the result files are dozens of gigabytes, which is very space inefficient. Just FYI, I'm using Cinematize 2 to do the recode.

The second method is what I am currently interested in. I'm aware that I could easily just plug in a DVD player through the component cable into my Mojo and hit record, which would theoretically solve my problem. The only issue I see is what happens if I want to re-capture from source at a higher resolution? On my 3/4" deck, Avid can use its RS-232 serial connection to automatically scan to time code and begin a targeted capture. I don't feel like this would be possible with a DVD since the Avid would essentially be creating its own time code. So I feel like that is a definite problem. However, I have heard that there are DVD players that come with firewire hookups that allow the Avid to control them and read timecode. Is this true? If so, any recommendations? I am leaning in favor of this approach (assuming that it is possible), since it would consolidate my DVD capture workflow through the same set of tools I use for 3/4" and Betacam.

Just as an aside, I'm running Avid Xpress Pro 4.7 (I know, it's old) on Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any help would be really, really great.

Thanks,

Evan

• Sun, Oct 12 2008 10:50 PM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,055

Re: Importing DVD to Avid Xpress Pro

There may be some special kind of dvd-player that can hold TC, but I've never heard of it.

My approach would be to record the dvd's to tape so you you can edit them like your usual workflow. If You use a Betacam (really?) or DV deck, then hook you DVD player up to that and then record from there into your system.

That is - if you have a lot of DVD-material going in and you need the offline/online. If there are only a few clips - you could go for you first choice and just figure out the correct settings. Then you could batch import for offline/online or just keep these clips online throughout the production.

fred

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 13 2008 6:10 AM In reply to

I would apture from a deck in low res, (you have tc that way) edit and batch capture hi res. Why woul dyou capture the dailies on a machine, transcode it to dvd and do a rip from that and transcode to something else with all the problems you are getting.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 5:19 PM In reply to

• patrickgi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,300

On this topic...what would be the best way (software) to download dailies from a ftp site and view them on your system before loading into Avid?  I'm trying to avoid using tapes and dvds...

HP dc7700 @ 2.13 ghz Intel Dual Core 2cpu XP service pak 2 (2002 v.) 3.5 gb ram nvida Quadro FX 1500 [view my complete system specs]

Legal Cutter "The most successful people are those that are good at plan B."

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 11:25 PM In reply to

do a search on internet on ftp software (tons of it available. I use wsftp). View them on your system: depends on how they are coded: could be Quicktime, AVI, WMV etc.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller