Latest post Fri, Nov 14 2008 2:19 PM by Corne Scheepers. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 11:30 AM

• Stefan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 14 2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Adrenaline and HD

I have a question about Adrenaline.

Do we need a DNxcel board to edit in hd?

We don't need HD inputs and outputs.

/Stefan

HP xw4600 - 2 geforce 9600 GT silent - 8GB ram - 3.0 Ghz core2duo MC 5.5.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Adrenaline and HD

You'll need DNxcel if you want to view your HD media on an HD monitor while you're editing.  I have an Adrenaline setup without the DNxcel board and we use ours primary for output instead of the Mojo bays. When we need HD we shoot P2 HD which any of our Media Composers will happily import and edit.  Once the HD media is online I transcode to SD for editing and monitoring and output through the Adrenaline's component or SDI outputs if we need to go to tape.

Edit: Sorry I'm being vague - we don't need to output HD tape masters or blu-ray at present, so when I say "when we need HD" I really mean "when we need the preceived quality of footage shot in HD" we shoot HD.  We still eventually downcovert everything to SD in my part of the world.  A lot of other folks here probably shoot and finish in HD.

Avid Media Composer 2018.5 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• Stefan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Finland
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Thank you for your answer!

One more thing that I'm wondering about: Can I downgrade HD material to SD in real time, so I can connect my sd monitor? If so, does the Adrenaline downgrade better than the Mojo?

HP xw4600 - 2 geforce 9600 GT silent - 8GB ram - 3.0 Ghz core2duo MC 5.5.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:19 PM In reply to

Stefan_B:
    Can I downgrade HD material to SD in real time, so I can connect my sd monitor?

Sure.  By changing the setting in the format tab you can instantly go from eg. 1080i/50 to 25i and the output is realtime to an SD monitor, depending of course on how complex your sequence is in terms of any nested effects or unrendered "blue dot" effects. The green/yellow quality switch in the timeline can help you here.  Keep in mind that if you want to do a digital cut or export with mixed media timeline, MC will probably ask you to transcode the HD media to SD first if you're in a 25i project.

Stefan_B:
    does the Adrenaline downgrade better than the Mojo?
    As far as I understand media transcoding is function of the Media Composer software and not the DNA hardware. So I can't imagine that your input/output device will really influence this in any way.  Mojo and Adrenaline are I/O devices. Someone else or one of the moderators care to chime in on this one?

Avid Media Composer 2018.5 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:41 PM In reply to

Just another thought - keep in mind that HD media eg 1080i and SD media like DV25 can happily co-exsist in the same timeline on Media Composer.  As long as the format tab is set to 25i you'll be able to view everything in realtime on your monitor with either Adrenaline or Mojo connected.  It's only when you want to output that you'll have to start transcoding your HD media.  For my own purposes I transcode early on in the process because I work back and forth between MC, all my CS3 apps and Sorenson Squeeze a lot.  But I could just as well have edited with the HD media until right before I needed to output to an SD device, I suppose.

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 2:05 PM In reply to

• Stefan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Finland
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Ok, thanks! I think I'm starting to get this. I hope... Wink

Now another question pops into my head. What setting do you use when you transcode the HD material? In the other words, how do I do to get as much information as possible from the HD material, to the SD material?

Oh, and one more thing about Adrenaline. Is it just a I/O box? Or does it work in any way like a DSP-processor in sound cards?

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

Stefan_B:
    What setting do you use when you transcode the HD material? In the other words, how do I do to get as much information as possible from the HD material, to the SD material?

I suppose that depends on the type of HD you're using.  We shoot 1080i/50 P2.  That imports into the Avid and shows up as DVCPRO HD in the bin.  When I transcode to SD a have a choice of all the SD resolutions available of which the highest will be either 1:1 (uncompressed) or the 10bit variety, 1:1 10bit.  I usually go with 1:1, depending on much much storage I have available.  10bit helps with things like preventing banding in gradients so I usually use that for graphics.  1:1 is usually my resolution of choice for regular video.

Stefan_B:
    Is it just a I/O box? Or does it work in any way like a DSP-processor in sound cards?

I'm afraid you'll have to run that one past someone with a an engineering background.  I'm just a regular guy who uses Avids Smile Try Tech Support.  From what I understand the newer DX Nirtis systems does provide a type of performance enhancement because it no longer uses firewire.  But I'm on unfamiliar ground now.  Perhaps someone else can provide a better answer on this.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller