Latest post Sat, Jan 3 2009 12:08 AM by TVJohn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 30 2008 2:45 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

New Tutorial in the middle of all the festive chaos

Probably quite a few happy people got MC from Santa and are coming over here to get some basic tips.
    So here in the middle of the festivities is my latest attempt at helping newcomers to get the feel of their new NLE.
    Occassionally there are questions about BorisFX and MC on the forum.
    I used BorisFX as a plug-in to Liquid and then later to MC 2.8
    As most of us know already the learning curve for the Boris family is very steep. (and even worse - The forgetting curve is even steeper! [:'(] )
    I had mixed success using BorisFX. I could never get it to repeat the same thing twice!

In upgrading from MC 2.8 to MC 3.x I was able to retire my BorisFX and install AvidFX (Boris Red)
    Recently I retried the "Paint a Path" effect that I used with mixed success with Liquid and MC 2.8
    In AvidFX it just sailed along smoothly and everything worked as it should Big Smile

So, here is my very simple and very basic Paint-a-path Tutorial for AvidFX.
    Hope it helps some of you struggling newcomers......

Regards
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 30 2008 4:46 AM In reply to

Re: New Tutorial in the middle of all the festive chaos

Thanks again Douglas, keep them coming!

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Dec 31 2008 7:04 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Douglas,

Liquid or MC, Boris FX or Red, this is still a great tip, I keep forgetting how to do this but with Douglas help I keep remembering. Big Smile

Happy New Year.....

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 1 2009 6:43 AM In reply to

• Graeme Fullick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Newcastle Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Points 1,590

Douglas,

This for me was a fantastic Xmas present. Believe it or not, today I started drawing maps and paths for a massive project. I was going to do all this manually with a series of wipes. It has saved me literally tens to hundreds of hours. More tutorials on Avid effects would be greatly appreciated. I wish that Boris had the same available.

Thanks again so much for your efforts, all of the Avid community greatly appreciate it.

MC V8.3, Matrox MX02 mini with MAX, Intel Quad 9550, ASUS P5QDeluxe, Quadro 3700 and Quadro 4000 Graphics, 8Gb OCR ram, OCZ SSD 120GB system drive, storage... [view my complete system specs]

Graeme

• Thu, Jan 1 2009 12:08 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you Hans, Dan and Graeme for encouraging words.

Now here is a true story that says it all:

About 2 weeks ago I wanted to work with some audio tracks in MC (audio has never been ny strong point) and I could not remember how to achieve my aims.
    What did I do to get help?
    I looked at one of MY OWN tutorilas and got a very clear description of the steps I had to follow.
    Geeked
    Regards,
    Douglas

PS. I have an idea to a follow up to the Paint Tool Tutorial that will probably be done and posted in the next 24 hours.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 1 2009 12:13 PM In reply to

Isn't it nice to learn something on the forum? Wink

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Thu, Jan 1 2009 3:20 PM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

Douglas,

Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I am always looking to learn something new.

As far as you cutting the audio tracks by accident, that is no problem. In fact I thought you were going to show how to correct that.  It is pretty easy by going to "Remove Match Frame Edits."

Thanks again,

Media Composer ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, Win 7 Pro, i7-3770K processor, 32 gig ddr3 ram, 4 2TB gig Sata III drives, raid 5, 3WARE Sas 9750-4I Sata III... [view my complete system specs]

Mattman

Life is good, eternal life is better.

• Thu, Jan 1 2009 11:06 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mattman:

Douglas,
    Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I am always looking to learn something new.
    As far as you cutting the audio tracks by accident, that is no problem. In fact I thought you were going to show how to correct that.  It is pretty easy by going to "Remove Match Frame Edits."

Thanks again,

Thanks are due to you too, Matt.
    Now I have learned about "Remove match frame edits"!

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 2 2009 5:18 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

There is something associated with your narrative, Douglas, that makes the visuals much easier to "brain sync".

Possibly a rate better suited to my greying skull, but far easier to process than so many fast-delivery voice talents utilized in many vids today.

Do not ever let anyone else narrate your work.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Jan 2 2009 9:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

TVJohn:
    There is something associated with your narrative, Douglas, that makes the visuals much easier to "brain sync".
    Possibly a rate better suited to my greying skull, but far easier to process than so many fast-delivery voice talents utilized in many vids today.
    Do not ever let anyone else narrate your work.

John, I was considering Sir Sean Connery as an alternative, but after reading your posting I guess I will save a bit of money and continue doing them myself........... ( Big Smile Does my Scottishness show?)

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Jan 3 2009 12:08 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Sean could work...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller