Latest post Fri, Jan 30 2009 6:16 PM by BLKDOG. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 3:24 AM

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

MC 3.0 crashing / related to partioned drive with Pro Tools LE??

I recently bought a MacBook Pro (2.6 proc / 2GB ram / ?200GB drive) and found out that Pro Tools & MC are not compatible with each other on the same system. After speaking to someone at Digidesign, I took the laptop to Apple Store Genius Bar to get it partitioned for dual boot (10.5.4 OS for Pro Tools & 10.5.5 for MC).  Had a few issues getting the laptop to recognize the M Box 2 Pro hardware but finally got that to work, though i have not tried to use the software yet.  Installed MC finally and started using it yesterday. I was working on a project with 8 audio tracks and 3 video tracks and after several hours, i got the pinwheel of death. I went to force quit and restarted twice. Today I worked on the same project for awhile and got a few "Exception" errors (i didn't note the details) and then MC went to the pinwheel of death and I could not even get to the Force Quit option and had to shut down using the power button. My project was on an external LaCie 1TB drive 7200 RPM. In addition, I did not have the Pro Tools hardware attached to the computer when running MC

I am wondering if there is a) a problem with the partition, b) inadequate Ram or c) an issue with the external drive and d) ???. I called Avid to confirm the compatibility of the laptop before purchasing it. I am contemplating the purchase of an additional computer with more ram--looking at the newest iMac with NVIDIA. Anyone have thoughts or opinions?

thanks

Sara

MC 7.0.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz 6 Core 2 intel Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 10.7.5 OS [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 1:37 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: MC 3.0 crashing / related to partioned drive with Pro Tools LE??

2 gigs of Ram isn't even close to what you need Sara. You need to have a bare minimum of 4 gigs and even that's light. I would start there.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

so it could be as 'simple' as not enough ram? I am wondering if I can even upgrade the ram enough in the laptop. is there a rule for amount of ram per # of tracks ?

someone else mentioned ATTO drivers and I don't even know what those are

thanks for the suggestion. is Apple the best/only place to get RAM for MacBook Pro? opinions?

MC 7.0.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz 6 Core 2 intel Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 10.7.5 OS [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

No. Do not get ram from Apple. It's way over priced. What you want to do is go to crucial.com and get your memory there. Hoepfully you can get a couple of 2 gig sticks to put in there.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 6:10 PM In reply to

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

thanks-i'm going to try that now, as well as deleting or transferring data from an external drive (currently it is at 93% full)

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 6:16 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

That, combined with the low ram, will certainly cause the beachballs you are seeing.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller