Latest post Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:21 PM by skillet. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 1:01 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,282
    • Points 219,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Apply an Effect to Many Clips with a Double Mouse-click.

This one could save you some time when applying the same effect to multiple clips on your timeline.

Regards,
    Douglas

The playback screen can be maximised by using the "Full-screen" button in the control bar.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: Apply an Effect to Many Clips with a Double Mouse-click.

If your clips are sequential (as in your example), it would be faster to add a new video track then drop the desired effect onto the Filler above the clips.  If you have say four sequential, then another clip that doesn't require the effect, you could do an Add Edit to split the Filler and the effect will only apply to the Filler sections you want. 

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/68303.aspx

Your double-click method is a good quick way to put effects onto multiple clips if they are non-sequential. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 9:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,282
    • Points 219,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you, Kenton.

That's a valuable piece of knowledge to add to the process.
    I didn't know about it before.

Regards,
    Douglas

Edit added:
    I looked at the thread you refer to just now.
    It was just starting when I was making the tutorial.........
    Too bad I hadn't seen it first -  then I could have added more meat to my tutorial Geeked
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Apr 14 2009 5:09 PM In reply to

• jkl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Ireland
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,300

There are some effects that cannot go across filler so its also handy for this situation!

thanks

Media Composer v7.0.3 with Symphony option. AJA in/out express BCC8.1 on HPz400 workstation with 12gb of RAM, Windows 7 professional 64bit NVIDIA QUADRO... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2009 5:30 PM In reply to

cluas:
    There are some effects that cannot go across filler so its also handy for this situation!

Can you say specifically which ones?  IIRC, any effect that you can apply to a clip can be applied to Filler.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jun 19 2009 10:42 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

If your clips are sequential (as in your example), it would be faster to add a new video track then drop the desired effect onto the Filler above the clips.  If you have say four sequential, then another clip that doesn't require the effect, you could do an Add Edit to split the Filler and the effect will only apply to the Filler sections you want. 

Douglas,

A similar method is to hold down Alt while double-clicking the effect in the Effect Palette. This will span a single effect across the selected sequential clips.

I'm not experienced enough to tell you why you'd want to span and nest versus adding another video track. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but I imagine there is some rationale as for when to use one method versus the other.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Fri, Jun 19 2009 11:28 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,282
    • Points 219,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BobbyMurcerFan:
    why you'd want to.........

From time to time when I am making a tutorial about something such as the above, I get this feeling.
    OK.... you can do it, but why would anyone want to do it?
    My own thoughts are - it is can be useful to know that the possibility exists - in case you need it one day. Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

• gerbow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 3 2007
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,730

"why you'd want to": perhaps if you are adding filters to clips that you'll want tweak individually for some clips as opposed to setting globally? Douglas your tutorials are an invaluable resource and much appreciated by this former Liquid user! I am really getting to enjoy using Media Composer now and having these tutorials just a couple of clicks away is making the transition smoother.

Thanks

gerbow

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 2.8GHz Nvidia Ati 5770 graphics card, 1TB system drive; 3 media drives set as raid 0. Mac OS 10.7.3 Black Magic Design Intensity Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:31 PM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:

I'm not experienced enough to tell you why you'd want to span and nest versus adding another video track. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but I imagine there is some rationale as for when to use one method versus the other.

Essentially it is a matter of personal choice, but I like to keep a timeline as uncluttered as possible, so I tend to build multi-layer effects and then collapse them into a single layer. This is also the best way to get clean, global transitions from multi-layers to a single clip, or vice versa. An example of Alt double-click spanning and nesting would be creating a series of images with transitions and then framing those images inside a PIP that floats through the screen.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 9:06 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

drbgaijin:

BobbyMurcerFan:
    why you'd want to.........

From time to time when I am making a tutorial about something such as the above, I get this feeling.
    OK.... you can do it, but why would anyone want to do it?
    My own thoughts are - it is can be useful to know that the possibility exists - in case you need it one day. Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Yes I second Douglas.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 9:28 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    but why would anyone want to do it?
    With this one, lets see? I have a client in later this month with 300 family stills and little money. To save money they have agreed to a standard duration  BUT they really want movement on most of them.

In script view set standard duration for all the stills (with heads and tails). Select all clips and drag into a timeline

Create a default Pan and Zoom effect with the 5 or so basic settings that will be the same. (target mode , no eases etc) Works for both Avid and BCC P&Z. Save this effect to a bin.  Lasso the timeline in segement mode and double click on the saved Pan and Zoom effect. 

Result 300 clips with Pan and Zoom effects with my first 5 settings done in less than 5 minutes.    A single click remove effect on the clips you dont want to use it on is still quicker than adding an effect and setting the basics up each time. So why would you not want to have this method in your bag of tricks??

• Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:40 PM In reply to

Thanks for your demo on this, Douglas!

• Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,282
    • Points 219,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I am glad to have been of help.
    By the way - Welcome to the Avid Community Michale Big Smile

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:06 PM In reply to

• I'mWorried
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2011
    • Memphis, TN
    • Posts 16
    • Points 150

Mr. Douglas:

Thank you so very much for your good works.  I feel like the skies have parted as a result of your tuturials.

Best,

William

MC v8.5.3 on HP Z820 Workstation, 2x Xeon E5-2590v2 2.40 GHz 12 core, RAM 32 GB, Win 7 Pro 64, NVIDIA Quadro K4200 (driver v347.520), HP Turbo G1, Samsung... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 4:52 PM In reply to

• CR8VDO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 31 2008
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,920

very helpful, thanks!

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 12/13... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller