Latest post Wed, Mar 4 2009 2:43 AM by kbc. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 17 2009 1:37 AM

Canon 24f workaround - Project formats

First of all, I know that AVID will not recognize the 24f format. I realized this the hard way after agreeing to edit a wedding not knowing what it was shot on or with (Camera: Canon XH A1 / Format: HDV 24f, 1440x1080)

The workaround I am planning on using is to capture all the footage onto Adobe Premier and then import the created .mov files into AVID Media Composer.

My question is this. What PROJECT FORMAT do I choose when opening a project in Premier and also Avid? In the past I have always just stuck with the generic "30i NTSC" format but because of this 24F nonsense I'm worried that I have to open up the project in a different format. Also, I have never edited HDV footage.

I would appreciate any information pertaining to project formats.

Thanks, Erin

• Tue, Feb 17 2009 6:01 PM In reply to

Re: Canon 24f workaround - Project formats

• Wed, Feb 18 2009 1:15 AM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

Hi Erin,

I'm no authority, but I shoot 1080/24p (Sony EX-1), and it imports nicely into Avid (after being re-wrapped or converted or whatever to mxf, using Sony's Clip Browser).  The Avid project setting I use is 1080p/23.976

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 18 2009 8:48 PM In reply to

Hey Malcolm. Thanks for the reply but this camera is different than other HDV's. The person who shot the wedding shot it in 24F and 1080i. The problem is making a new project. It gets confused between the frame rates. I have been trying to capture and import this footage for three days now.

NEVER BUY THIS CAMERA!!!!

• Wed, Mar 4 2009 2:43 AM In reply to

• kbc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 6 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Its actually a very good camera for the price and shoots some beautiful stuff.  Premiere CS3 has a download for 24f cameras.  What I suggest, is import using the presets for 24f, and export as QT.  A tedious process, but one that should work.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller