Latest post Wed, Feb 18 2009 5:20 PM by phoenixofedair. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 18 2009 4:57 PM

Audio Levels for broadcast

Hi

I'm preparing to send out an omf for a friend who offered to do a stereo mix on my latest project (50 min TV show PAL). He's using Logic instead of pro tools, whatever its free. He asked me if he needed to output the audio with any limits/specs for broadcast. I said yes and these are......I have no idea. Sound has always gone out of house and I'm afraid its a massive gap in my knowledge. The problem is I just got this job and its my first as the ONLINE guy and I have never handled this part of the job (i'm just a cutter really). Could someone help me with what levels the mix has to come back to me in. The project will be rolled to DigiBeta. Now the clock/bars etc that I have has a reference level of -12db. I read somewhere that you are allowed 10db over your reference level so does that mean my audio cannot peak over-2db? Someone help please.

Cheers

Mac Pro Quad 2.66, OSX 10.5.5, 5 gig RAM, a sick graphics card 15" Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5, OSX 10.5.5, 4gig of RAM, a graphics card AVID MC 3... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Feb 18 2009 5:04 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Re: Audio Levels for broadcast

Boy this has become a bit of a grey area (at least in spot world). Some houses are pushing it all the way past -6 only to get it kicked back by some stations. They claim that it is better to go higher with the levels when digital because distortion only occurs at the very top. Problem is, when you make analog dubs that are calibrated standard levels, they will distort. I've gotten into some nasty talks with audio production folks about this. Safe bet would be to keep an average of -10. But I'm sure some audio folks might have words about that.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Wed, Feb 18 2009 5:11 PM In reply to

So is it best to have my sound mixer mix as he would with 0 db as the top limit and limit it once I have brought it back into avid or should he mix and then place a limiter on it as his final step and just plonk it straight into the timeline? God this is an absolute nausfest.

Mac Pro Quad 2.66, OSX 10.5.5, 5 gig RAM, a sick graphics card 15" Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5, OSX 10.5.5, 4gig of RAM, a graphics card AVID MC 3... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 18 2009 5:14 PM In reply to

If you want to do it right, you should definitely check the specs of the broadcaster you are supplying to. In Holland (and AFAIK in Germany) it is common to have reference tone at -18dB FSD and peaks at -9dB FSD (so 9dB's above reference level). I think BBC specifies 8dB over reference, so maxing out at -10dB FSD.

Again, check the specs as supplied by the broadcaster, or else you'll risk having your master rejected.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 18 2009 5:20 PM In reply to

Guys thanks so much for your help, I think I'm going to have my sound mixer place the limiter as his final step and just replace my timeline's audio. The broadcasters spec is -18 db with 8db peaking over so that makes it -10 db. I think I understand now, I have to change my bloody bars.

Thanks alot guys. Avid forums=genius.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller