Latest post Fri, Feb 27 2009 10:17 AM by basketkase13. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 7:26 AM

DVC PRO HD raster versus STANDARD

Hi, I work with P2 media from a Panasonic HVX. When I set my Project format option, is it best to use the DVCPRO HD raster or the STANDARD? It appears that the STANDARD setting has a higher resolution (1920x1080) than the DVCPROHD (1280x1080). Does changing this option affect the footage? Should I stick with what is native in the camera, or does it not make a differance? Thanks.

MC v3 academic. XP pro HP xw4600 2.33ghz core 2 duo, 4gigs ram, nvidia quadro fx570, 500 gig esata external hard drive, 120 gig boot drive, pyro 64r2,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 8:08 AM In reply to

Re: DVC PRO HD raster versus STANDARD

Here's what I believe to be true:

The options are THIN RASTER versus FULL RASTER. TR is 1440x1080 whereas FR is 1920x1080.

The Avid does handle TR, but since it involves a stretch to 1920x1080 when playing back the footage, it is slightly more demanding on your system. If you choose to import as FR, you are indeed changing the footage, stretching it to full raster (which will happen on playback anyway).

You can keep the footage in the DVCPROHD codec, but I would not recommend using that for renders and such, since it has been developed as an acquisition codec, not not so much as a postproduction codec, like Avid's DNxHD codecs.

Also, DVCPROHD will be slightly more demanding on your system than DNxHD, AFAIK. So besides TR to FR, you might want to consider transcoding to DNxHD, and work with that. I did just that last year on a longform doc shot on P2, and that worked very well (I'm on classic Nitris, though, and that does not seem to handle TR as well as the newer HD boxes).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:09 AM In reply to

Thanks for the response and info. So, if it stretches it on playback anyway i should just keep it at the TR setting correct?( to save system resources when palying back). Also, Im a newb at the whole transcoding to DNxHD. Do I cut the sequence first, then transcode, or transcode the clips from the bin individually then edit together a sequence? Also, what does the DNxHD codec do anyway? thanks again

MC v3 academic. XP pro HP xw4600 2.33ghz core 2 duo, 4gigs ram, nvidia quadro fx570, 500 gig esata external hard drive, 120 gig boot drive, pyro 64r2,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:15 AM In reply to

Another thing, how do I go about transcoding. It seems that the only option I have is DVCPROHD with a sequence, my P2 clips seem to be already at DNxHD 145. im kinda lost on what this is actually doing for the output. BTW, what does consolidate and decompose do?

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Ok i think I answered my own question. I can only transcode clips/sequences when i set the format raster to standard. so, this is a better workflow for post. if so, i greatly appreciate the info and help

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:50 AM In reply to

if it stretches it on playback anyway i should just keep it at the TR setting correct?

No, I was implying that working in full raster would be easier on your system, so that would mean NOT keeping it in TR.

My personal preference would be to transcode to Full Raster DNxHD, since that is least demanding on the system when editing.

If you check out the P2 step-by-step guides (www.avid.com/p2), you should be presented with the option to transcode when importing P2 footage into the system.

The DNxHD codec does not "do" anything, it is a codec. The DNxHD codec has been designed for postproduction use, which means that it stands multiple generations better than codecs that are optimized for acquisition. It means that when you add mulitple effects and render and rerender stuff in DnxHD, you will have better results than with codecs that are not designed for post environments.

Also, the Nitris and Nitris DX boxes have on board hardware DNxHD codecs, which means that when you are working in DNxHD with those boxes, your CPU/GPU won't have to do any of the decoding, as it is being handles by the boxes. This will result in better performance (streams, realtime effects). But if you don't have such a box, you will not have that specific advantage.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 10:17 AM In reply to

thank you for clarifying all of that for me. im learning so much everyday. again i appreciate it. happy editing

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller