Latest post Fri, Jan 27 2006 10:40 PM by featuretech. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 3:42 AM

• Gary
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bradley
    • Posts 37
    • Points 500

Mourning Meridien Multicam

Was it perfect? Certainly not: going into multicam mode was usually a mistake, a wait of 5-10 seconds while the system dealt with this strange request. And requiring 10m  or 4m resolution, and lacking some of the supposed Adrenaline flexibility. But it performed as promised.

By contrast-- Adrenaline multicam is incapable of playing the 9-way split from the source window (without going into multicam mode-- believe it or not, that's the way we've been using it since ABVB and NuBus days). And wow, is it buggy. With my projects-- 11 or 12 iso cameras, timelines of 60 to 120-180 minutes (never a problem for Meridien), there is no chance of chatter-free playback of the 9-way... And going to the source window to look at the 9-way? Bad idea ! Unless you want the proverbial cup of coffee while you restart from crashing.

Happily, I've discovered that I'm not alone.. there's a sub-culture of multicamists who seek out pre-Adrenaline systems for their offlines, and trade tales of Adrenaline indignities. Don't get me wrong: Adrenaline has many fine qualities, but multicam isn't one of them. It's a mystery why Avid should have compromised one of the features that distinguished it from all others.

Mac Book Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9400M & 9600 GT 500 GB ATA 7200 rpm drive Plus several other certified platforms [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 12:16 PM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Re: Mourning Meridien Multicam

HD limits the number of panels multicam can display as well as multicam functionality at this time

The following is taken from the MC HD editing guide:

Limitations on Playback of MultiCamera Media

To play back a group clip or a multigroup clip, you must be in MultiCamera

mode. In addition, the following limitations apply to playback performance for

both standard-definition projects and high-definition projects:

• In an HD project, playback in any of the multicamera displays uses the

Best Performance mode for video quality. For information on Best

Performance mode, see “Playing Back at Different Video Qualities” in the

Help.

• In an SD project, you must have an Avid Adrenaline DNA attached to

your system in order to view multicamera display in a client monitor

during a digital cut.

• In an HD project, you cannot play back a multicamera sequence to the

client monitor. Client monitor settings you select in the MultiCam tab of

the Composer Settings dialog box do not apply to HD projects.

• In an SD project, multicamera editing works only with 8-bit resolutions. If

you use media with a 10-bit resolution, the Avid editing application

automatically plays the media at the appropriate 8-bit resolution.

• Fri, Jan 27 2006 10:40 PM In reply to

Re: Mourning Meridien Multicam

30clip group clip issue.

PC Adrenaline v 2.1.8

We have a show that is trying to cut a master  audio sequence with 30 associated camera angles, or shots.

They can play a nine way split then toggle to the next nine.  When they hit the switch camera bank button again, it gives them their original 9 shots instead of the next nine.  I'm putting in a feature request to extend the number of shots you can step through from 18 to .......over 30.  Has anyone run into this issue and does anyone have a work-around.

featuretech

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller